Brexit

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Brexit

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Another completely sideways solution to the problem. How about offering to support a united Ireland and making it happen in exchange for them joining in Brexit.

Which is more important to them, a united Ireland or a US of E and the bribes.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

No need for any lateral thinking. We will have much the same as we have now, just won't sit around the EU table. Nothing else is achievable (except a 2nd ref to stay in).
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That is why lateral thought is needed.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Government is not capable and various elements of 'the people' would not tolerate it...

...creating a united Ireland is almost as contentious as letting you attend an AOS bake-off ;)
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

But allowing both makes sense and is right, it is just - mad, prejudiced, politically hamstrung, brainwashed, people who are stopping it.

This is true in the case of me and bake-offs, but the politics is forum based.

With NI the problem is *on both sides*. Both SI and NI will have to change to make it work.

savvypaul
Great Britain

I agree...but it will be a fudge, instead, for now.

In another 50 years, maybe, when the prejudice of the troubles era has been bred out...
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It hasn't bred out in the last 500 years. It will have to imposed, as I say the Scot Prots and the Irish Popists will have to be bought out by BOTH governments.

"The Irish constitution says that the state may not endorse any particular religion and guarantees freedom of religion."

BUT the Catholic Church still wields enormous power over the state and the people, again a particularly strong brainwash since birth. This spawned an equally strong brainwash amoungst the Scot prots in the north. BOTH of those now need to be denied and proper secularity and religious freedom applied.

They could of course do the sensible thing and make all religions illegal :shock: but the world is not ready to be sensible and peaceful yet.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:31 pm It hasn't bred out in the last 500 years. It will have to imposed, as I say the Scot Prots and the Irish Popists will have to be bought out by BOTH governments.

"The Irish constitution says that the state may not endorse any particular religion and guarantees freedom of religion."

BUT the Catholic Church still wields enormous power over the state and the people, again a particularly strong brainwash since birth. This spawned an equally strong brainwash amoungst the Scot prots in the north. BOTH of those now need to be denied and proper secularity and religious freedom applied.

They could of course do the sensible thing and make all religions illegal :shock: but the world is not ready to be sensible and peaceful yet.
The Catholic church has little power since the abuse scandals in Irish republic. Obvious by the abortion and gay marriage votes. The differences are as much politics as religious beliefs. You have over half the NI population who want to remain in Uk so forcing them to join Republic will result in conflict. A few border checks is much less of an issue when push comes to shove. Likely a fudge which will mean remaining in customs union for short term with a chance to come up with a better solution in a few years. The complaints about queues at customs is a red herring. Checks are already made at Dover and other ports while we are in the Eu but most vehicles get waved through on checking papers. Technology would eliminate most of this but there has to still be checks for illegal migrants and smuggled substances. It's just the remainers playing politics that has blown all this into a major issue. There is already a border between us Ireland and the rest of EU in terms of currency and the Schengen area.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Anyone would think that we were the only country that had a border between an EU country. All the other countries seem to manage it ok.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

zebbo wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:15 pm Anyone would think that we were the only country that had a border between an EU country. All the other countries seem to manage it ok.
That would be .... Russia and the Ukraine.

Nope - no problems there like civil wars or shooting down innocent passenger aircraft.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ