Brexit

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Brexit

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I'm reading All Out War by Tim Shipman now.

Interesting book. Although I'm struggling to keep track of all the characters involved in it. It's a book about how Brexit came about - a history of Brexit. A lot of it is like an episode of Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister. For example when they changed the original referendum question and answer from one where the possible answers were a "Yes" and a "No" to one where the answers were "Remain" or "Leave" that made a 4% different in the opinion polls. Meaning that if the original (slightly leading) question and answer had been used the referendum result may well have gone the other way.

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Watched is (not just the clip) last night

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06gt1cs

I wish we had politicians that were more like that.

It is I, Leclerc

Unread post by It is I, Leclerc »

Just some competent politicains would be a good start.

Welder
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Welder »

It is I, Leclerc wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:27 am Just some competent politicains would be a good start.
Incompetence is the very pride of the public school system from which many of these good chaps were spawned.
If there was no future in incompetence what on earth do you think would happen to our wonderful public school system?
Good lord man, these chaps might have to get proper jobs.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Competence is all relative. At least we don't have presidents siphoning off $billions into Swiss bank accounts. And allowing corruption to go on at every level from the top to the bottom. Like an apple rotten to the core.

Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May. I may not agree with all of their views, but at least they were all - in a broad sense - decent human beings. It'd be unrealistic to expect them to always tell the truth and to never do anything for selfish reasons.

I would still rate all of them as "competent enough".

Maybe I'm too pragmatic?

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Corruption deosnt have to involve siphoning of money . It can involve jobs for supporters. Similarly being a decent human depends on the outcome of your policies.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

savvypaul wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:26 pm My prediction...much the same as now but under a different name.

There will be some form of customs union - but called a partnership or suchlike. No need for border in Ireland.

UK will 'choose to adopt' all EU regulation - but call it 'our own' legislation.

There will be free movement - but called bilateral arrangements. Governments will stop talking about immigration targets but the numbers in and out will be much the same (all other things being equal).

UK will continue making large, regular payments to EU - but called investment programmes, and not quite as large a sum as now.

Trade will be much the same as now but not quite as easy.

Both UK and EU economies will grow a little less than they might have done without Brexit and will have spent billions to get there.

Brexit is the price that the EU pays for running away with it's 'project' and the price that the UK pays for allowing 40 racist Tory MPs to set the tone for a nation.
Seen nothing, since, to change my mind...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:06 pm
savvypaul wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:26 pm My prediction...much the same as now but under a different name.

There will be some form of customs union - but called a partnership or suchlike. No need for border in Ireland.

UK will 'choose to adopt' all EU regulation - but call it 'our own' legislation.

There will be free movement - but called bilateral arrangements. Governments will stop talking about immigration targets but the numbers in and out will be much the same (all other things being equal).

UK will continue making large, regular payments to EU - but called investment programmes, and not quite as large a sum as now.

Both UK and EU economies will grow a little less than they might have done without Brexit and will have spent billions to get there.

Brexit is the price that the EU pays for running away with it's 'project' and the price that the UK pays for allowing 40 racist Tory MPs to set the tone for a nation.
It looks like something like this is on the table. It won't be acceptable to the 40 racist Tory MPs and the support of other parties will be needed to get it through Parliament.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

CN211276 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm
savvypaul wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:06 pm

It looks like something like this is on the table. It won't be acceptable to the 40 racist Tory MPs and the support of other parties will be needed to get it through Parliament.
I think you need to calm down and stop calling people racists. The 40 MPs you are referring too are proving themselves a bunch meddling idiots who have less support than they think.
Looks like the deal prevents free movement which most Brexit voters (who are not racists) want. The problem is the prevarication and lies from labour party in trying to force an election and claiming the deal can be renegotiated. There are a bunch of loonies at each end of the spectrum in parliament. The no deal and let's be Singapore in the Tory party and the people who want to stop Brexit and don't respect Democracy across parties (Anna Soubry , Kerr Starmer and the Lib Dems). They have lost the argument and let's hope the people in the middle who voted either way act in the national interest and accept this deal because the Eurocrats ain't going to budge furthur. Theresa May surprised them all by actually getting an agreement!
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

May needs Corbyn to get the deal through.

Corbyn needs May to grant a general election.

... :epopc:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/