Brexit

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Re: Brexit

Unread post by Lindsayt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:54 am

I'm reading All Out War by Tim Shipman now.

Interesting book. Although I'm struggling to keep track of all the characters involved in it. It's a book about how Brexit came about - a history of Brexit. A lot of it is like an episode of Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister. For example when they changed the original referendum question and answer from one where the possible answers were a "Yes" and a "No" to one where the answers were "Remain" or "Leave" that made a 4% different in the opinion polls. Meaning that if the original (slightly leading) question and answer had been used the referendum result may well have gone the other way.

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Watched is (not just the clip) last night

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06gt1cs

I wish we had politicians that were more like that.

It is I, Leclerc
Great Britain

Unread post by It is I, Leclerc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:27 am

Just some competent politicains would be a good start.

Welder

Unread post by Welder » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:07 pm

It is I, Leclerc wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:27 am
Just some competent politicains would be a good start.
Incompetence is the very pride of the public school system from which many of these good chaps were spawned.
If there was no future in incompetence what on earth do you think would happen to our wonderful public school system?
Good lord man, these chaps might have to get proper jobs.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Competence is all relative. At least we don't have presidents siphoning off $billions into Swiss bank accounts. And allowing corruption to go on at every level from the top to the bottom. Like an apple rotten to the core.

Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May. I may not agree with all of their views, but at least they were all - in a broad sense - decent human beings. It'd be unrealistic to expect them to always tell the truth and to never do anything for selfish reasons.

I would still rate all of them as "competent enough".

Maybe I'm too pragmatic?

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:09 am

Corruption deosnt have to involve siphoning of money . It can involve jobs for supporters. Similarly being a decent human depends on the outcome of your policies.
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS