Defending your home.

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Defending your home.

Unread post by Lindsayt »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:29 pm ...If the evidence suggests the homeowner chased after the burglar, perhaps out of revenge, and stabbed and killed him, then that is murder and the homeowner should face trial.

I am withholding my own judgement as I don't know the facts. Does anyone, here?

I have sympathy for the innocent children that the burglar has left behind, regardless of the above.
In this case the homeowner could only have chased the burglar as far as the distance within his home. IE all over in a few seconds. Not hours or days.

If the evidence showed that he had chased after the burglar and stabbed hin to death I'd give him a medal and not a conviction.

Because in the heat of the moment, in those circumstances, I wouldn't expect him to be thinking clearly and logically. His adrenalin would be right up. Irrational thoughts and feelings would have been going through him. He would have been acting instinctively and his instinct may well have been highly aggressive.

It's the burglars who through their illegal, immoral, selfish, sociopathic act of breaking into his home that have put the homeowner into that extremenly stressful, mind numbing situation. Not the homeowner.

What really grinded my gears was when the cousin on Radio 4 today was saying that the homeowner should have taken some other course of action like phoning the police. Well fuck off. So the burglars are just going to stand there politely whilst he dials 999? So you expect a vulnerable, physically weaker man to think as logically as Mr Spock, instead of his brain going into meltdown shock?

Fuck-off. Adrenalin = fight or flight. In this example it was fight.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Hi Lindsay,

I think the law should be applied.

I'm guessing you think that the law should be changed.

I very much hope that it is proven to be self-defence. There's a bit of info here that I found reasonably straightforward: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19886504

I have no sympathy for the burglar.

I didn't hear the Radio interview with the cousin. I will try to find it on catch-up.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

A witness has said that the partner in crime pulled the knife out of his chest. This would indicate that it was not inserted when he was running away. Also, the pensioner had bruises which means he was attacked. In all probability the stabbing took place in the heat of the moment during a struggle.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

CN211276 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:32 pm A witness has said that the partner in crime pulled the knife out of his chest. This would indicate that it was not inserted when he was running away. Also, the pensioner had bruises which means he was attacked. In all probability the stabbing took place in the heat of the moment during a struggle.
I hope it is proven to be self defence. But no-one can know that for certain until it has been fully investigated and, if deemed necessary, tested in court.
I am in the hi-fi trade

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:15 pm I trust the judicial process to come up with the right answer.
Time will tell.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 pm What really grinded my gears was when the cousin on Radio 4 today was saying that the homeowner should have taken some other course of action like phoning the police. Well fuck off. So the burglars are just going to stand there politely whilst he dials 999? So you expect a vulnerable, physically weaker man to think as logically as Mr Spock, instead of his brain going into meltdown shock?

Fuck-off. Adrenalin = fight or flight. In this example it was fight.
I just listened to the interview with the cousin.

Her comments that the homeowner 'should have just phoned the police' were poor, indeed.

The law does not agree with her, either.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:31 pm Hi Lindsay,

I think the law should be applied.

I'm guessing you think that the law should be changed.

I very much hope that it is proven to be self-defence. There's a bit of info here that I found reasonably straightforward: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19886504

I have no sympathy for the burglar.

I didn't hear the Radio interview with the cousin. I will try to find it on catch-up.
I agree. The law should be applied.

The law says that everyone has the right to trial by jury. If I were on the jury I'd find him not guilty. Regardless of any instructions from the judge, who may have led a luckier life than myself and the accused.

I have been on the receiving end of sudden, unexpected serious crime. I know that in that situation my brain instantly stopped working properly. That I was instantly transformed into someone capable of doing the most illogical or stupid things. That's what shock and a huge dose of adrenalin does to you. I therefore don't expect any sort of reasonable behaviour from anyone put into such an extremely stressful situation.

I never would have found Tony Martin guilty.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

All those advocating personal justice and retribution seem to have had a personal experience. The precise reason we have the law.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

The law says that everyone has the right to trial by jury. If I were on the jury I'd find him not guilty. Regardless of any instructions from the judge, who may have led a luckier life than myself and the accused.
I dont know if you have sat on a jury, but I have and whatever you may think you would do now will be checked when you are sitting in court.

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

The responses and opinions have been a bit of an eye-opener. Not sure I like a good deal of what I've been reading.

Everone is entitled (particularly here) to their opinion, but I'm not quite sure I'd expect some of you to have a balanced opinion about events.

Anyone seen this film?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Angry_Men_(1957_film)
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.