Defending your home.

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Defending your home.

Unread post by savvypaul »

George Hincapie wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:35 pm
kimangelis wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:33 pm Listen to youselves!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes he (was) a bad man. Again he shouldn't have been there and yes he's a crook, and no respecter of privacy, security or ownership. I'm not going to argue his background et al as it's not really applicable or relevant.

But the man is dead. His children have lost their father and their mother her partner. He deserves to have been locked-up, pay his dues and the insurance company can deal with the rest. Yes I've been burgled and yes I've been angry. But I would't wish the man dead.

We have to have due process which sets us apart from more radical or primitive cultures where guilt is assumed by circumstance. Come on.... let the law take its course. The law after all is what makes us civilized.
Of course his background is relevant; he was a scrote and the World is a better place without him. Decent human beings don't do what he did.
Would you introduce the death penalty for anyone committing burglary, then? Or just those with the 'wrong' background?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

wonderful with wife and kids, just breaks in to oap's house in the early hours of the morning, threatens householder with screwdriver and has previous - sorry heard this sort of shit before.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

savvypaul
Great Britain

guydarryl wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:02 pm wonderful with wife and kids, just breaks in to oap's house in the early hours of the morning, threatens householder with screwdriver and has previous - sorry heard this sort of shit before.
Death penalty for all burglars, then?
I am in the hi-fi trade

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

You aren't seriously defending a burglar are you?

George Hincapie

savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 pm
guydarryl wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:02 pm wonderful with wife and kids, just breaks in to oap's house in the early hours of the morning, threatens householder with screwdriver and has previous - sorry heard this sort of shit before.
If they die, they die. No tears shed from this callsign.

savvypaul
Great Britain

George Hincapie wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:05 pm You aren't seriously defending a burglar are you?
Of course not. I'm defending the law.
I am in the hi-fi trade

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 pm
Please don't: I have grown to expect more from you.

No where do I say or suggest anything so ridiculous. If someone feels threatened and protects themselves then that can hardly be related to death penalty.

I just get pissed off with the hand wringing post event from friends and relatives about how wonderful people were when their actions show that they really were not.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

savvypaul
Great Britain

Due process must be followed. The law must be applied in all cases.

If the homeowner acted purely in self-defence then he will not be convicted of murder. But if, for example, he chased after the burglar out of revenge then he will be convicted of murder - because that is, murder.

We know very little of the facts, but it is possible to have sympathy for the homeowner and, at the same time, have sympathy for the innocent children that the burglar leaves behind.
I am in the hi-fi trade

George Hincapie

savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:06 pm
George Hincapie wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:05 pm You aren't seriously defending a burglar are you?
Of course not. I'm defending the law.
What precisely is it you're defending? I just want to make sure I understand where you are coming from.

Certain US States have the 'Make my day' law, which is a no retreat principle on your own property. You could shoot a burglar and kill them and face zero legal action. That's what we ought to have in the UK; a man's home used to be his castle.

George Hincapie

savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:17 pm Due process must be followed. The law must be applied in all cases.

If the homeowner acted purely in self-defence then he will not be convicted of murder. But if, for example, he chased after the burglar out of revenge then he will be convicted of murder - because that is, murder.

We know very little of the facts, but it is possible to have sympathy for the homeowner and, at the same time, have sympathy for the innocent children that the burglar leaves behind.
Is anyone suggesting there shouldn't be sympathy for his children?