Unions - power slurping arses!!!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unions - power slurping arses!!!

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If we hadn't fought this battle years ago it would be the same for us as is now happening in France. IMO put Corbyn and his version of Labour back in and we are back to square one.

I hate the bloody lot of them Labour, Tories, mildly less with Libs but they are all still power hungry arses. I just cannot ignore the dangers the unions present to this country if they get the chance again. Look at our rail unions, they would be at the commuter like rampant dogs to demand more money less hours more holidays earlier retirement. That is what is causing the French strikes. GREED, they have it so cushy it is amazing http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43617033 if every industry was like it France would be bankrupt.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Unions - power slurping arses!!!

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I don't think fighting for people's rights is "a danger" it just sounds like Daily Fail rhetoric.
Without the unions there would be no paid holidays, sick pay, weekends off, statutory health and safety etc, etc, etc.
Once the Tories use Brexit as an excuse to "cut red tape," (secret code for erode health and safety standards and workers' rights) ordinary working people will need the unions more than ever.
The greatest victory of the right wing news agenda (another slurp I wonder?) was to characterise those fighting for the benefit of the masses as power-hungry, evil and self serving.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Not worth seeing here, read the other threads

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

So you want to have a strike ridden country again, I lived through it once and I don't want to do it again.

There has to be a balance and apart from the rail unions we seem to have a fair balance now because we fought the war and a sort of truce was declared. I did not say unions do not have good in them, but rampant unions controlled by "people with political agendas" is not a good thing.

France has to have that war as they have avoided it up to now, and hopefully they will find a balance between greed and service. A normal Labour party I would not fear in power, but Corbyn will give the unions dominion over us again. British Leyland, rubbish stacked up in streets, trains on strike, 3 day week, no coal (not important now that battle was won). You are either too young or have short memories, the arses who run the unions are still waiting to get back to their great times, when they had an influence - indeed the influence to fuck us up!!!!!!!!!!

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Progressive unions and companies seek to work together for shared benefits. Germany led the way, many British unions and companies have followed. the lesson is simple; treat unions and workers as partners. The difficulty in the UK rail industry is mostly because the political agenda of the government is blocking progress on modernisation, plus the modernisation being sought is not balanced - it is only about saving money. The government wants everything it's own way. Stalemate ensues.

France is further behind the curve and seems likely to go through a painful 'lose-lose' episode before they come up with something balanced.

Indeed, DQ, this has all been covered in earlier threads...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The railway unions are the Luddites, the companies backed by the gov are the modernisers. You just don't realise how modern trains can become, we don't need more track we need the modern control systems already developed where trains can run literally a platform length away from each other safely *3 time the number of trains on THE SAME TRACK. Who is trying to stop it THE UNIONS, driverless trains will come and will be fought over, FFS we have had the Docklands Light for decades - no drivers. Everything in this world will be controlled by computer, most is already, safety is just a Union red herring. All you need a human for is to make sure no one is trapped in the doors and they are closed. That can be done on the platform or on the train.

savvypaul
Great Britain

The Railway Industry

Government: We can use all this lovely technology to modernise and increase capacity.

Unions: What happens to us?

Government: We'll need fewer of you and those that are left will have their status reduced and their terms and conditions, such as rosters, allowances and pensions, eroded / worsened / withdrawn. Just sign here, please.

Unions: Erm, no thanks.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Exactly = Luddites.

It has happened in every industry and it will keep on happening, or shall we become another Soviet Union. Progress always comes at a price.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Not Luddites.

Human beings with self respect and bills to pay.

Society does not have to be a zero sum game...
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It has always happened and will keep on happening it is the price of progress, like it or lump it - it will happen, unless we create a dictatorship to stop it. I am sure Corbyn would love that. The same as May would love it so she could force it through. BUT democracy is about making people discuss and compromise, not go on strike, that is declaring war.