Dedicated Radial Circuit

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Dedicated Radial Circuit

Unread post by terrybooth »

There's a long store behind this which I won't bore you with but last night I plugged my hifi into a radial circuit which has only the hifi on it.

First result was that the low level of hum coming from the system (which doesn't intrude when music is playing) dropped lower.

Then I started listening to music I'm familiar with.

The first track that I listened to (The Apples - Big Budget from Womad 2015) sounded pulled apart. It starts with a recording of the Burundi drummers over which the band drummer starts playing but in a different key signature. Rather then hearing the two 'blend' into each other, I was hearing the two more separately than I previously heard. More information than I'm used to, I think.

And so it went on through the evening: there was a greater sense of space and separation between instruments and, in some cases more detail than I remember hearing.

James Morrison - My Funny Valentine (from the Great American Songbook) - there's the sound of the valves on the trumpet and the sound of his breath and - although this is clearly much more subjective and based on how I'm feeling - more emotion in the playing.

I plan to keep the configuration for a few more listening sessions and revert to see if it really is the sort of subtle step change I thought it was last night.

(PS. I've had hi-fi on dedicated radial circuits in the past and though that it made a difference, but then I couldn'et easily do an A-B comparison because I did it as part of rewiring a house.)
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dedicated Radial Circuit

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is not a spur - we must get our terminology right. A spur is a line taken from a Ring Circuit to new sockets, it is not a Radial Circuit.

So the title should be Dedicated Radial Circuit - I will change the title.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Dedicated Radial Circuit

Unread post by terrybooth »

Yes, sorry. I have a one switch distribution box which is has a feed taken off the main distribution board (that is to say it doesn't have it's own 'raw' mains supply (part of the long and boring story). That has a cable with one plug on the end of it in the listening room (but in the wrong place) and I've hooked it up to a long extension cable to the BMU - not ideal but an experiment to see if it made a difference.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro