UK Mains Elec Stoooopidity

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: UK Mains Elec Stoooopidity

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Fine if you have your own house - not so if you rent - and I for once like IKEA light bulbs with their 10 years guarantee and good price
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Bayonet fit lamps (to quote a instructor from my apprentice days "bulbs grow, filaments glow") are absolutely fine where there is only one contact. As soon as there is more than one the effects of heat cause the solder to soften and the sprung contacts sink into it making it impossible to turn the thing to remove it! Unfortunately the Edison screw has its failing too, the large thread tends to corrode making it difficult to turn the lamp to remove it. In either case there is a risk of ending up with a handful of broken glass as the envelope shatters when you twist it.

From many years of experience my choice would be the single contact bayonet, as used by the millions in cars and aircraft.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:13 pm Bayonet fit lamps (to quote a instructor from my apprentice days "bulbs grow, filaments glow") are absolutely fine where there is only one contact. As soon as there is more than one the effects of heat cause the solder to soften and the sprung contacts sink into it making it impossible to turn the thing to remove it! Unfortunately the Edison screw has its failing too, the large thread tends to corrode making it difficult to turn the lamp to remove it. In either case there is a risk of ending up with a handful of broken glass as the envelope shatters when you twist it.

From many years of experience my choice would be the single contact bayonet, as used by the millions in cars and aircraft.
LOL. Haven't you noticed modern lamps don't last long enough for the screw thread to rust up?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They (the slurpers) can make a bulb that lasts for ever. So they deliberately make ones that fail or they would be out of business. The EU realised this when they were going to prosecute them for it, so a compromises of life time of products was reached, but over recent years they have realised the EU is not enforcing it so they are taking the piss again.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The bulbs we have are all modern , regardless of fitting. They all last 10,000 + hours

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

My Tesco's ones last in the hundreds of hours to my reckoning. All modern type, you can only get tungsten ones at ebay.