Organic Food

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Organic Food

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Is organic just another way to try and rip us off with higher prices.

"There is not sufficient evidence in medical literature to support claims that organic food is safer or healthier than conventionally grown food. While there may be some differences in the nutrient and antinutrient contents of organically- and conventionally-produced food, the variable nature of food production and handling makes it difficult to generalise results. Claims that organic food tastes better are generally not supported by evidence."

Simon Hickie

Re: Organic Food

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Well let's just say that nicotine is allowed as an organic pesticide. Prices will probably be linked to demand / supply / yields. Supermarkets are price makers rather than price takers and largely dictate what we get in terms of quality for what prices. The EEC largely killed off market gardening in S. Derbyshire from the 1970s. Also M&S used to insist that crops destined for them were sprayed more often with pesticides to absolutely guarantee that there were no creepy-crawlies in them.

I'm sure Karatestu will chip in ;)

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I never buy organic veg but have tried naturally reared chicken. What little I ate of that was tough and chewy.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Not quite as simple as organic versus non--organic. For instance their are clear benefits to organic chicken ,but I'm fucked if I can see the benefit of organic asparagus

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Its organic tomatoes that piss me off, for some reason Nadia insists on them. They are twice the price and no difference to my taste. So this household has his and her tomatoes :lol:

Daniel Quinn

All organic Veg' s are dubious, there is nothing wrong non-organic methods. If you like your chicken pumped up with water, then there is nothing wrong with non organic chicken also.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

There are no benefits in organic anything: it's a huge scam. These foods are less "healthy" for you than conventional produce, but anything that comes with an implied health benefit somehow gains a premium. It's bullshit.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Daniel Quinn

I didn't say it was healthier, but tasty - without doubt.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

We started off eating food without pesticides.

Then, 'they' said pesticides will give us healthier food but we obviously have to put the prices up a bit.

Then, they said organic food without the pesticides will be healthier and taste better but, obviously, we have to charge more for it.

I pick up a veg box once a week from a 'no nonsense' local farm. He says 'some of it might be organic and some of it isn't, and you get what you're given'. Cheap and fresh.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Did they say non-organic chicken is pumped full of water, so a 1/3 of the weight is water. It gives it a mushy texture which can not be rectified with the cooking process