U.F.O's

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: U.F.O's

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I have an expertise, the problem none of you have experienced it because it is mine.
Host: Er... exactly. What is it?

Elk: Where?

Host: No, no, no. What is your theory?

Elk: Oh, what is my theory?

Host: Yes.

Elk: Oh what is my theory, that it is. Yes, well you may well ask, what is my theory.

Host: (slightly impatient) I am asking.

Elk: And well you may. Yes my word you may well ask what it is, this theory of mine. Well, this theory that I have--that is to say, which is mine-- ...is mine.

Host: (more impatient) I know it's yours. What is it?

Elk: Where? Oh, what is my theory?

Host: Yes!

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Well I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition, there are three things, er no four, but.............................................

Nick if you don't know what I am saying after all these post explaining it then your reading ability is bollocks :mrgreen: I have trained for over 30 years in a taoist art, my last master lived in Shanghai I used to visit and he came here, I am a disciple to his line (a bit like an adoption) done in a Ceremony called Bai-Shi. That 30 years of work is my experience / expertise, it is mine, you cannot be given it, that is my point, it is my tao. Though I can point you in directions to find it yourself if you want, and that is my posts about duality etc. My science fiction musing are just that, my muses, I am sure you have them as well.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I love a bit of debate and discussion. That's surely the point of a place like this.

So to go back a little, (and possible do a little side step,) does anyone think that there is an opposite to music? I don't think "silence" would be right, but neither would "noise" be quite perfect either.

I come back to this having thought a bit about something I said about "need" and the human desire for beauty and fulfilment. I called it "spiritual" but perhaps the word is too loaded with meaning to be valid?
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

CycleCoach wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:32 pm ...

So to go back a little, (and possible do a little side step,) does anyone think that there is an opposite to music? I don't think "silence" would be right, but neither would "noise" be quite perfect either...
Either Death Metal or Disco. Take your pick. :lol:

My attempt at a "correct" answer would be cacophony.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

slinger wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Brilliant answer!

We just need to work out what the difference between cacophony and free-form-Jazz now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Oh, I understand what you are talking about, but however it is just a world view that originated from observations about the world as it could be seen a few thousand of years ago combined with analysis of human neurology. IMHO attempting to make it more than that and being in some way related to the underlying mechanics of the universe is where it becomes spiritual.

"spiritual: Relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things."

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

CycleCoach wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:40 pm
slinger wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Brilliant answer!

We just need to work out what the difference between cacophony and free-form-Jazz now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of course there's an exception to every rule, as the saying goes. Look at how The Beatles inserted a section of cacophony into "A Day In The Life" for instance. And there's always "modern" classical music which often, to me at least, sounds like two blokes carrying multiple trays of cutlery falling down a cast-iron staircase rather than my definition of music.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You don't need any veracity than the words you post

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

CycleCoach wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:32 pm I love a bit of debate and discussion. That's surely the point of a place like this.

So to go back a little, (and possible do a little side step,) does anyone think that there is an opposite to music? I don't think "silence" would be right, but neither would "noise" be quite perfect either.

I come back to this having thought a bit about something I said about "need" and the human desire for beauty and fulfilment. I called it "spiritual" but perhaps the word is too loaded with meaning to be valid?
For me it would be discord - lack of harmony between notes sounding together. Anyway music is a noun, they are objects / things. It is like asking what is the opposite of a tree.