U.F.O's

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: U.F.O's

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

We don't know do we, but again in an infinite universe anything is possible.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I gave up when logs appeared in school maths classes, it went beyond the practical for me so let others do it, my brain is geared for something else. I like to muse on possibility. Once you accept anything is possible, it just needs the right circumstances to occur, they did here so they are bound to have happened somewhere else in an infinite universe.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

it is a theory that is based in maths rather than obsevation.

the planets and solar system exsist without it , theory based on maths is misguided even sheldon realised that

anything is not possible
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

Europa looks to have the necessary conditions for life, so that’s two from one system, that seems to conflict the "conditions for life exist nowhere but earth" statement.

It seems unlikely (but possible) that only one out of the likely billions of planets would fit the requirements.

As to the chance of that life becoming space travelling, and then overcoming the restrictions of the speed of light and the huge distances involved, that’s a bit less likely. Finally the chance of a alien race doing all that and having a similar level of intelligence to us, so they notice us and we notice them is very small it seems to me.

Daniel Quinn

a planet cable of life , will have life on it

a planet incapable of lfe will have no life on it

Lurcher300b

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:49 pm it is a theory that is based in maths rather than obsevation.

the planets and solar system exsist without it , theory based on maths is misguided even sheldon realised that
if you are talking about String Theory, then it is a set of explanations that attempt to fit observations. All Physics starts with observations, that’s what makes it Physics, and why Maths is not a science and doesn’t claim to be one.

Daniel Quinn

it is so far extrapolated from observation , it mightas well be a lego universe

Lurcher300b

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:53 pm a planet cable of life , will have life on it

a planet incapable of lfe will have no life on it
And the basis for that assertion is?

Sounds to me a bit like the historical ages idea of Spontaneous generation which we now know is wrong.

Imagine the earth, 30 seconds before the first life occurred. That was capable of life, but had no life on it.

Lurcher300b

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:56 pm it is so far extrapolated from observation , it mightas well be a lego universe
And your credentials to make that statement are? Or are the only things that are true things you understand?

By the way, assuming you do understand the problem its trying to explain, do you have a better and simpler explanation?

Daniel Quinn

that would probably be a good start

yes , stick to what you can observe .