Black Friday

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Black Friday

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is a lot of chatter about people holding off until Black Friday for electronic purchases. I know I am as the salesman in PC World told me to when I went in for advice about my dongle thing, plus a Chromebook that looks like it will come down to silly money.

It seems a bit daft to me for it to be promoted before the event as anyone with any sense will be waiting to see. So how about you lot, has it effected your buying choices.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Black Friday

Unread post by savvypaul »

I studiously avoid it. Most of the electrical items are overstock of items that have since been superseded.

Many of the 'reduced from' prices are a marketing scam; caused by artificially inflating the price of items at just a few stores (sometimes only one store) for 28 days before Black Friday. The items concerned are often not even displayed at the stores where they have been overpriced.

All perfectly legal, although there are recommendations to change the law. Part of the proposals state: when running a promotion involving a price comparison showing the business’s original price and a discounted price, under the new Guide you (the seller) will need to be prepared to justify and document the answers to the following questions:

How long was the product on sale at the higher price compared to the period for which the price comparison is made?

How many, where and what type of outlets will the price comparison be used in compared to those at which the product was on sale at the higher price?

How recently was the higher price offered compared to when the price comparison is being made?

Where products are only in demand for short periods each year, are you making price comparisons with out-of-season reference prices?

Were significant sales made at the higher price prior to the price comparison being made or was there any reasonable expectation that consumers would purchase the product at the higher price?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Great track.

[BBvideo=560,315]http://youtu.be/I0QhaBW73Sk[/BBvideo]

The retail thing is a bit of a con. Bargains can be had all year round if you look.
Last edited by Classicrock on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That has always happened in the traditional retail sales times of Summer and January. I thought Black Friday was different. I know the item I want at PC World is genuine as it is on show at a price, nudge nudge wink wink from the salesman "it will be 20% or 30% off that on Black Friday".

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

The more sales and special days they have not much will be sold rest of the year. Might as well be honest and knock 20% of normal prices and take a reduced slurp.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:59 pm That has always happened in the traditional retail sales times of Summer and January. I thought Black Friday was different. I know the item I want at PC World is genuine as it is on show at a price, nudge nudge wink wink from the salesman "it will be 20% or 30% off that on Black Friday".
If it's definitely what you want, and you are wise about the previous pricing (google the model no. to see what it is selling for now at other retailers)...then could be worth waiting.

I'm interested as to why you think Black Friday would be different to other sales?
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Even now it is the cheapest computer they stock. It is small cute and does me for taking out or on holiday etc as it is very light. Yes I know you all use phones and pads for that, but I hate them, cant use them (my fingers get in a muddle on the screen) and they are too small and fiddly for my failing eyesight.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

savvypaul wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:05 pm I'm interested as to why you think Black Friday would be different to other sales?
Because for traditional sales the shop is gutted and restocked as they last for up to a month. This is one day, shop stays the same apart from some stock piles. I am not sure how it happened, apart from it started in the USA.

More importantly does it get into a buyers psychi, as other have noted the changes in buying behaviour. October and November used to be best buying months in Hifi along with Feb March and April. December was quiet because of Christmas costs, Jan was recovering and summer was about holidays and out time not so focused on in door fun like hi-fi. Well not now, summer brought in record sales for me in my on-line version of the company and middle Sept onward quiet like the normal summer, so it just evens out but makes me rethink how I plan my year. So if it is buyer psychi does Nov 24th remotivate them.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

In a way I do a similar thing. When I need some sales I go search my case stock to find any that are not 100%, and really some of the problems are so small as to not be noticed if I sold them as "A" stock instead of "B" stock. So I am having a sort of a sale to create turnover. Would it be better to have some fun and do them at a Black Friday type event.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

I wait more for 11.11 at AliExpress this year :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I did for couple of years waited for BF checking prices of items I wanted
and was always disappointed cause there were not on sale and I always ended up buying something else
I didn't really wanted

So if you ask me I would rather look out for your B Stock all year long that buy it on BF
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade