Brexit

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
valvesRus
Great Britain

Re: Brexit

Unread post by valvesRus »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:45 am All retired people will be dead when the effects of brexit kick in , they should therefore place an age limit on voting. Essentially they are votiing on a future britain they wont be part off.
Retired people have a lifetime of experience and are (perhaps) better able to see the long term benefits of Brexit, even though they may not be able to experience them in person.

ps I am retired. :grin:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Admin Edit - post removed as it is ad hominem, your edit below has stopped the second strike, but if you carry on they will be applied. It is so simple address the subject not the poster.

Ps. I'm sorry if you took it personally doc, but I would say it is most unlike you.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

So, do people of your age only get a half vote ? :lol:

You won't get as much of the Brexit experience as (say) a person in their 20s

Perhaps retired people are voting for their childrens future ?

Daniel Quinn

Yep , something like that

And lower the voting age, then theý can vote for themselves

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

A dangerous precedent to set if we start deciding who is eligible to vote on a particular subject...

If we choose an age limit for Brexit, then what next?

A poor example, maybe, but if I were housebound and there was a vote on HS2, could I be ineligible to vote due to the fact I'd never use it?

It's just never going to happen we'd need another referendum to decide who can vote and probably one before that to decide who can decide on who can vote....

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

In the context of a world dominated by the US and China (and the EU to a lesser extent) the UK will always be a rule taker, not a rule maker. When we sat around the EU table we had a say in those rules. The rest of the world is not going to adopt UK rules and it is pointless to have a two-tier system of regulation. Competitiveness and innovation will not come from looking inward.

Theresa May's most recent speech can be summarised as...we will leave your rules and then be free to decide to continue following those same rules, whatever you decide, as we don't have a say in it anymore.

Austerity inspires mean thinking as there is less to share with others. Populist parties thrive on this...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

scotty38 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:14 am A dangerous precedent to set if we start deciding who is eligible to vote on a particular subject...

Probably.

joe
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by joe »

scotty38 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:14 am A dangerous precedent to set if we start deciding who is eligible to vote on a particular subject...
I'd say the Brexit referendum was itself a dangerous precedent.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

On line referendums on every Parliamentary decision, easy to do with current technology. Only informative as not everyone is on line. For me the perfect democracy is everyone on line, all having an opinion. The Parliament just being an executive.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

joe wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:06 am
I'd say the Brexit referendum was itself a dangerous precedent.
Quite. Deciding what folk should vote on rather than who should vote is anther story altogether.