Brexit

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Brexit

Unread post by savvypaul »

Cameron made little more than an afterthought or paper exercise of securing reforms from the EU on immigration, sovereignty etc prior to the referendum. Because he had allowed the UK to become isolated in the EU in his years as PM he could find few allies and his demands were given minimal importance. He then meekly went away and campaigned for Remain. He should have recommended Leave at the end of his negotiations with Merkel, to make her sit up and understand the gravity of the situation. Both misjudged the mood, and Cameron was always a gambler, with disastrous consequences. If serious reforms had been made regarding immigration and we continued to be clear that we would not participate in single currency, Schengen, EU army etc then the referendum result would certainly have been different. Now we have an outcome where both the EU and the UK will be weaker, and all we are left to fight over is who can 'lose the least'. A depressing and unnecessary state of affairs.

The British hate pompousness - it's why Moseley could never get taken seriously. For that reason, Juncker is the EU member states own worst enemy, especially in these negotiations.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

For less than a day. Today.

£1 buys change 52 week-high 52 week-low

Euro 1.12840 +0.00400 1.19680 1.07910

And as can be seen the peaks are just as daft as the troughs http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= ... R&view=10Y

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Short term currency fluctuations - too early to say what the long term trend / level will be.

Many economists have argued that the pound was artificially high in the months before the referendum. Same economists now revising UK growth figures downwards for short to medium term.

Many bumps in the road, to come yet.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

antonio66 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:47 am
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:59 am I repeat the 10% reducing to 5% at its worst can never be seen as a collapse. It is just the TV and press have to use over statement, so you follow them. A collapse would have to be at least 30%. 10% is an adjustment.

The use of the words is completely wrong even for 30% a real collapse leaves the thing broken on the ground.
The pound went from $1.50 to $1.10 approx.
Which is pretty irrelevant since it is now at $1.33. So it has hardly lost any value considering $1.50 was high. Scaremongering and lies continue -Sainsbury boss predicting 22% price increases. More customers for Aldi then!
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Aldi is a German company. Interesting to see how their UK pricing will be post-Brexit.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

In real terms the pound is still too high.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

all talk , eventually brexit will mean fuck all change . in or out is academic for all intents and purpose we will remain

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Fretless wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:31 am Aldi is a German company. Interesting to see how their UK pricing will be post-Brexit.
About 50% cheaper than Sainsburys. I doubt they import much more than other supermarkets based on experience but you certainly spend a lot less in there.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:43 pm all talk , eventually brexit will mean fuck all change . in or out is academic for all intents and purpose we will remain
Unfortunately Dan, you could well be right. :evil:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If they could design someone to wind up the Brits it would be just like Junkers, the arrogant overbearing piece of hubris shite is just designed to make Brits glad they are leaving.