eBay Fees

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: eBay Fees

Unread post by zebbo »

BillyBones wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 pm
George Hincapie wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:47 pm So I'll have to pay £140 for simply selling? That is fucking insane. Jesus. I was quite happy when I saw the final sale price, but that is just taking the piss.

I won't be selling anything on eBay again. Robbing bastards.
Thing is Ebay gives you the largest market place, the fees are the trade off.

I've never sold anything as expensive as your item on Ebay, but if I'm selling something at a fixed price on Ebay (rather than on an auction) I also list it a cheaper price on Gumtree and mention it in my Ebay ad. Buyer can get it cheaper, and I can make more money when the Ebay and Paypal fees are taken into consideration. Win-win situation.
I am VERY surprised that you got away with that. I've had listings removed for just mentioning that the item is for sale elsewhere. The fees were ok when they were capped at about £70 but now that there is no limit you have to be a bit imaginative with your messages. I use E-bay but do my damnedest to avoid completing the sale on there. If it does get completed on there it is at a price 15% higher than I am asking anywhere else.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think they want to drive the odd user away and concentrate on trade, is the feeling I have got. My fees are far less than yours being a trader, and the more business the less the percentage. For me when I first started on ebay in 2005 I was paying more of a percentage than I am now. My listings now are free, I only pay when an item sells and that is about 6%. For me compared with the 50% a dealer takes that is an absolute bargain, and they organise me and make sure I deliver and tell me off if I am late etc.

For me far better than amazon or anyone else, I suppose it just suits me.

Chunk McDaniel

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

I just sold nearly my whole system bit by bit but I waited on the £1 listings so nearly everything I sold cost me only a pound per sale. It is worth waiting on these offers.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

What? No final value fee? No Paypal fee? I've never heard of such offers!
The listing fees are pretty inconsequential anyway it's the sale fees that are crippling for expensive kit.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

zebbo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:32 pm
BillyBones wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 pm
George Hincapie wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:47 pm So I'll have to pay £140 for simply selling? That is fucking insane. Jesus. I was quite happy when I saw the final sale price, but that is just taking the piss.

I won't be selling anything on eBay again. Robbing bastards.
Thing is Ebay gives you the largest market place, the fees are the trade off.

I've never sold anything as expensive as your item on Ebay, but if I'm selling something at a fixed price on Ebay (rather than on an auction) I also list it a cheaper price on Gumtree and mention it in my Ebay ad. Buyer can get it cheaper, and I can make more money when the Ebay and Paypal fees are taken into consideration. Win-win situation.
I am VERY surprised that you got away with that. I've had listings removed for just mentioning that the item is for sale elsewhere. The fees were ok when they were capped at about £70 but now that there is no limit you have to be a bit imaginative with your messages. I use E-bay but do my damnedest to avoid completing the sale on there. If it does get completed on there it is at a price 15% higher than I am asking anywhere else.
Yes, so far I've never had an ad pulled for mentioning Gumtree. I admit I was surprised of this because Ebay has the technology to pick up on such things I would have thought. When I recently attempted to send a message to a potential buyer who lived local and wanted to come down and pay me cash, I got an immediate message back from Ebay saying something along the lines of " it appears you are trying to sell goods outside the Ebay agreement, this is against the rules etc."

In the old days if you had an expensive item like George there was a maximum fee of £40 if sold on a Buy It Now basis, if on an auction the normal fees applied. They soon closed that loophole when it was clear more and more people weren't going down the auction path with expensive goods.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Yes, that was it, £40 not £70. Now, of course, the sky's the limit. If I'd sold my Anniversary on there I'd have paid £200+ !!

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

I find Ebay taking 10% of the postage and packing particularly annoying.

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I don't think you're the only one Billy.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

It was done to stop sellers overloading the postage charge and reducing the item cost to avoid fees. But definitely unfair on the vast majority of sellers who offer honest listings.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/