DQ

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: DQ

Unread post by zebbo »

Was it just the bump of toddler DQ jumping off the sofa or did anything fall/move?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Is the amp now working, if not turn the amp off, leave it off. Better to be safe than sorry. It would be good if a local member to you could drop in and check it. A howl around like that can break the amplifier as it overloads it so it needs checking. The howl is caused by the earth or negative in the cable being broken. Remove that cable from the amp and don't plug it back in until checked.

How is DQ coming along.

Anna Quinn
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Anna Quinn »

Shit. That does not sound good. It's all off now. I didn't realise it would be so fragile. He moaned about springy floor boards but never stopped us being in there everyday. Shit.

Today was actually the best day yet. DQ was alert and spoke to toddler DQ which he has avoided doing thus far. Just a few words but that was monumental for toddler ! Therapy has started and he is engaging and moving at the pace they expect, well, a little faster maybe but we still have someway to go but we are going in the right direction . Others are seeing the improvements better than I, I see him everyday and am just worried about what I can't see . I need to start focusing on what I can see (sounds obvious but easy to forget )

Anna Quinn

The noise is still there. So I unplugged everything me will see if there is anything obviously loose in day light!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I can talk you through testing it step by step, but do it on email or PM it will take a few posts. Better if we get a forum volunteer near you to pop in and look.

First - Calm down and explain clearly tomorrow what happened and how it happened, did he jump on the cables. What ever has happened it can be fixed, worst case the amp and maybe speaker if that is damaged will have to come back, but lets not go to the worst case, lets take it step by step. When ready email me tomorrow.

Anna Quinn

He jumped/ landed around 2 feet in front of the bay window with houses the whole set up. He jumped from the footstool to the floor. Nothing was touched or knocked over. I will email you tomorrow as there is nothing to be done now I guess. We were all freaked out but I silenced the noise pretty quickly and got the tv back on for the end of the film so they all think everything is ok. I will stop staring at it and contact you tomorrow and hope it's something silly/easy.

nickwill

Unread post by nickwill »

Hi Anna

I'm driving up to Preston today, I've got a few appointments this morning but can call in this afternoon if I can be of help

Regards, Nick

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

nickwill wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:19 am Hi Anna

I'm driving up to Preston today, I've got a few appointments this morning but can call in this afternoon if I can be of help

Regards, Nick
I would say drop in and have a look.

Anna Quinn

Messaged him. Thanks guys

Anna Quinn

Nickwill came and isolated it all. Put all the wires back in and the speaker hissed! Thanks so much for taking the time out to put my mind at rest. So it's all switched off now until DQ is ready to talk to me about using it. Thanks to LindsayT also who has offered twice now to come out of his way and show me how to get it going, but I think I will wait until he can discuss with me what he wants.

Bloody HiFi's!