Forum Upgrade

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Forum Upgrade

Unread post by terrybooth »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:15 pm The problem is lurkers can't see what are new posts apart from the very few at the top. The Portal gave them a quick in to read all the new post for at least a day (mostly AoS). Now it is only signed in members who see a indication of new posts and what threads have been updated. As I say Lurker numbers have halved, and we are a forum of small number of member and very large number of lurkers - we need to cater for them.
If a user is not logged it, they will see the 5 latest posts. If a user is logged in then the quick link to New Posts will show all the posts since the user last logged in (probably up to some limit). All the portal did was to put that (recent posts) in a different place.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

terrybooth
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:39 pm And the NVA room and Elsewhere on the web should be in talk.
Moved to The Talk group

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I thought the site was down today, clicking on to my HFS box took me to an error page. :-? I like the Portal.

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

What's going on? I go to pfm thread, reply and submit, there are two more posts that I was unable to see showing, before submitting post.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

terrybooth wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:23 pm
SteveTheShadow wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:59 pm Forum won't remember my login details. Every time I leave and come back I have to log in again. Checking the "remember me" box has no effect. I've cleared all browser cookies and it still won't remember.
I've changed the name of the cookie and I've also turned on the cookie warning notice. If you don't see the cookie warning notice, there may be a problem with your browser.
Have cleared all cookies again, am seeing and acknowledging the cookie warning notice. HFS now appears to be broken on ios 9.3.5 safari browser as regards the site remembering login details.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

terrybooth
Great Britain

Safari isn't the world's greatest browser - its' fairly indeosyncratic (geared to media playback rather than standards). Have you thought of using Chrome for Apple?

terrybooth
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:49 pm What's going on? I go to pfm thread, reply and submit, there are two more posts that I was unable to see showing, before submitting post.
Could be a caching/refresh issue. Could also be multiple people posting at about the same time.

terrybooth
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:40 pm I thought the site was down today, clicking on to my HFS box took me to an error page. :-? I like the Portal.
Caching issue - I've had to clear the server side cache a few times this morning.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

terrybooth wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:55 pm Safari isn't the world's greatest browser - its' fairly indeosyncratic (geared to media playback rather than standards). Have you thought of using Chrome for Apple?

Do try Chrome, you will be amazed at how quickly pages load compared to Safari.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Doesn't save login on Chrome either.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)