The steady rise of on-line

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

The steady rise of on-line

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

USA retail sales rose 4.5% year on year in April, but on-line sales rose by 12%. So by common arithmetic shops have declined by 7.5%, and even big department stores are closing or downsizing. We seem to have reached the kick point.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: The steady rise of on-line

Unread post by Classicrock »

i think store will be where you go to look and feel your desired purchase. Then you order on-line at the store or go home and buy on your computer. Ironically though popular, fresh food purchase is where this does not work. You need to check product yourself and the Watchdog expose on lack of crate hygiene by the major supermarkets has put me off completely. The other area were I wish there was more physical stores is music. Nothing like flipping through racks of vinyl LPs.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It will never die, I see the future in pop-up stores and markets. Low cost alternatives that can compete in overhead terms with on-line. It is happening now in areas in London, big expansions in the traditional market areas like Brixton, Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane. Others starting, new ones in Islington, Lewisham, Croydon, and other areas. At the moment permission is only being given for weekends or Sundays only, but that will change. The new way is growing, the old way is dying, as has always happened.

Artisan food and drinks is partially driving it, as in the pubs dying and artisan drinking shops / cafes / clubs emerging in London with artisan Beer and Gin.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You see I could rent a shop for a day (Saturday) and do it in major centres all over the country (if I could be bothered) advertise it on forums, take stock (if I had any) and dem and sell. OR people to hear and then buy later on line.

Its a new world.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

It's still relatively early for online retail. It will get better and better.

Pop-ups have the potential to revitalise 'high streets'. So much more interesting than the typical 'same old same old'.

Both look ideal for the new artisans.

Direct selling, forums and bake-offs look like the future for hifi.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:USA retail sales rose 4.5% year on year in April, but on-line sales rose by 12%. So by common arithmetic shops have declined by 7.5%, and even big department stores are closing or downsizing. We seem to have reached the kick point.
If online sales accounted for 50% of all sales it'd be true. According to this: https://ycharts.com/indicators/ecommerc ... tail_sales
online sales represent 8.3% of all retail. So shop sales actually increased in the States, but not as much as E-commerce.