Am I too Old Fashioned.

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Am I too Old Fashioned.

Unread post by savvypaul »

antonio66 wrote:The manager chose to treat the child's behaviour as personal to him. It isn't.

How do we know that, it could have been racist.
Nothing in the report to suggest that.
antonio66 wrote:DQ cogently addresses the wider issues, imo.

Of CCTV or child/parenting issues?
The wider issues of inequality in our society.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Sorry Savvypaul, but I posted a reply to your CCTV comment, just to say Dominoes do have CCTV. You state this attack was not aimed at the manager, again there was nothing in the report to say it was or wasn't. Why post on child/parenting views of DQ when I was only confirming the existence of CCTV in a shop? :-? :grin:

savvypaul
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote:Sorry Savvypaul, but I posted a reply to your CCTV comment, just to say Dominoes do have CCTV. You state this attack was not aimed at the manager, again there was nothing in the report to say it was or wasn't. Why post on child/parenting views of DQ when I was only confirming the existence of CCTV in a shop? :-? :grin:
Do all Dominos have CCTV? I don't know. Perhaps they install it at any branches where they think it's needed. Maybe based on risk assessments.

My proposition is that the manager shouldn't take the anti-social behaviour personally as it's a symptom of bigger issues - i.e. inequality in society.
I am in the hi-fi trade

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

I can't see how getting rid of "inequality in society" would solve "antisocial behaviour".
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

savvypaul
Great Britain

guy wrote:I can't see how getting rid of "inequality in society" would solve "antisocial behaviour".
Everyone needs to feel that they have the realistic chance of 'something worth behaving for'.
I am in the hi-fi trade

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

I studied at University of Cambridge for a year and observed people with lots "worth behaving behaving for" exhibit really quite antisocial behaviours and attitudes. I grew up in quite a deprived area in a poor family and knew some very well mannered caring people.

Face it, it is not possible to lay all the problems of society at the door of privilege or lack of it.
Some people are socially ignorant arse holes; lots of it caused (in my opinion) by lack of responsible parenting and an understanding that with rights come responsibilities.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

savvypaul
Great Britain

guy wrote:I studied at University of Cambridge for a year and observed people with lots "worth behaving behaving for" exhibit really quite antisocial behaviours and attitudes. I grew up in quite a deprived area in a poor family and knew some very well mannered caring people.

Face it, it is not possible to lay all the problems of society at the door of privilege or lack of it.
Some people are socially ignorant arse holes; lots of it caused (in my opinion) by lack of responsible parenting and an understanding that with rights come responsibilities.
I don't disagree with your observation that bad behaviour can come from privileged people. Rightly or wrongly, I concluded that the OP described the behaviour of a child from a less privileged background, given that he was hanging around Dominos rather than burning £50 notes in an Oxford restaurant ;)

Receiving love, respect, encouragement and care, feeling part of a community, seeing a way to progress...I do think these are most important, although growing wealth inequality, the running down of public services, and the shortage of 'good' work cannot be helpful (zero hours contract, anyone?).

Our government and media demonises the unemployed / benefits claimants / working class / immigrants. People who are trying their best are sanctioned for being late for an appointment, have their benefits stopped and are forced to use food banks to survive. Government cuts spending on education, health, surestart centres are closed, 'bobbies on the beat' are withdrawn , social care funding is reduced, transport services that would help young people find work are being cut, council estates that provide community and a basic standard of accommodation are sold off and those that remain are deliberately run down so that they can be demolished to make way for 'high value' developments, immigrants become scapegoats because local services are already overstretched (local authority budgets have been cut by £18bn since 2010). There's always enough money for banks and bombs, though.

You 'beat the odds. Let's give everyone the chance to do the same. You can't win them all, but surely we can do better than we are right now?
I am in the hi-fi trade