HS2 opinions

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: HS2 opinions

Unread post by savvypaul »

valvesRus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:24 pm I'm not sure if it's planned that any freight would use HS2.
Either way, HS2 would create more overall capacity for freight.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

savvypaul wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:27 pm
valvesRus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:24 pm I'm not sure if it's planned that any freight would use HS2.
Either way, HS2 would create more overall capacity for freight.
Absolutely. :)

During the pandemic, when Eurostar services were curtailed, some freight was using HS1.
These users thanked the author valvesRus for the post:
savvypaul (Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:39 pm)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Renationalise British Rail, give favourable financial breaks on goods transport. Job done. Next? :lol:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
antonio66 (Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:31 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I must admit that my view of hs2 has been tarnished by the close proximity of the proposed line to my house. I am a perfect example of nimbyism :grin: (I just made that word up). Please do not underestimate the emotional turmoil that it had on me and many others. I feel like a weight has been lifted, I am much happier in myself.

The arguments about cost and environmental damage still rumble on. I would love to know the real reason it got scrapped rather than what we got told.

Apparently more of the public are against hs2 than are in favour. Some are on here but they remain quiet.
DIY FREE ZONE

valvesRus
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:58 pm
Apparently more of the public are against hs2 than are in favour. Some are on here but they remain quiet.
Do you think that statement is about HS2 per se OR about the cost of HS2 ?

Sometimes you have to factor in the likely costs involved if projects like this don't go ahead.(in the long term)

When I look back at when the M1 motorway was completed, in the early days it looked mightily underused, look at it now.

Major infrastructure projects normally need to be underway well before they are critically needed.
These users thanked the author valvesRus for the post:
antonio66 (Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:34 pm)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:58 pm I must admit that my view of hs2 has been tarnished by the close proximity of the proposed line to my house. I am a perfect example of nimbyism :grin: (I just made that word up). Please do not underestimate the emotional turmoil that it had on me and many others. I feel like a weight has been lifted, I am much happier in myself.

I came across the term nemby all the time when I was in the energy dept of the Welsh Government, mainly in respect of huge windfarm proposals which usually did not progress. One nimby was a rock god. I was at a meeting with one of the big energy companies the main purpose of which was for them to whinge about the "local celebrety" who would not allow them to access his land which was required for their huge windfarm proposal to progress. The "local celebrety" was none other than Robert Plant! A lot of derogetary things were said about him and I have never had to bite my lip so hard :lol: . The project did not progress. The energy company wasted a lot of money and Robert Plant became very popular in the locality. :grin:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

valvesRus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:18 pm
karatestu wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:58 pm
Do you think that statement is about HS2 per se OR about the cost of HS2 ?

Sometimes you have to factor in the likely costs involved if projects like this don't go ahead.(in the long term)

When I look back at when the M1 motorway was completed, in the early days it looked mightily underused, look at it now.

Major infrastructure projects normally need to be underway well before they are critically needed.
The problem, if that’s the right word, with HS2 is that, although an increase in rail capacity is necessary, there is little need for a high speed line. Even less need when you consider that the journey time could be reduced by making fewer stops. Additionally, on-line meetings have already reduced the number of journeys (in my view such meetings are no substitute for in person meetings) thus further weakening the case for a high speed line.

It can be argued that the demand isn’t for a London to …. line but for a …. to Birmingham (and beyond) line. I live far enough West of central London that the supposed time saving disappears into the time taken to get to the London terminal. The line only benefits those for whom central London is “on the way to Birmingham” and those who can join it further North. Anyone South West, or West of London isn’t helped. I see this as a “Me too” project because France, Belgium, and the Netherlands have high speed rail links.

Upgrading the Chiltern Line would be less expensive and of greater utility than HS2 but less exciting.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:25 pm
Upgrading the Chiltern Line would be less expensive and of greater utility than HS2 but less exciting.
I believe the Chiltern line was upgraded not that many years ago, and that some people prefer that route to Birmingham.

Having seen a cab ride video of the line after upgrading, and also videos of the upgrading work itself, the line is not really suitable for high speed, although the scenery might be better. ;)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

valvesRus wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:55 am
I believe the Chiltern line was upgraded not that many years ago, and that some people prefer that route to Birmingham.

Having seen a cab ride video of the line after upgrading, and also videos of the upgrading work itself, the line is not really suitable for high speed, although the scenery might be better. ;)
If you are prepared to accept that high speed isn't necessary all that is required is greater capacity.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:10 pm
valvesRus wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:55 am

If you are prepared to accept that high speed isn't necessary all that is required is greater capacity.
Well, higher speeds would give more capacity, or we need new lines.

HS2 gives both.

The UK topography and population density is not really conducive to new lines, which is why HS2 is creating the problems it is.

Think back to when railways began in the UK, an how our landscape was scarred by myriad railway projects spurred on by railway mania. George Hudson may have been a con man but we were left with a rail network to be proud of.

If only BR and Beeching had mothballed more lines rather than instant demolition.