HS2 opinions

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: HS2 opinions

Unread post by karatestu »

A couple of recent Guardian articles about HSpoo.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentis ... ayer

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news ... k-claims

Fingers crossed . I hope the recent leaks come true but I'm nof holding my breath. I own a field which the proposed line goes right through. Years a go they paid me to do surveys. Since then I have not heard a thing from them apart from a letter stating BJ had asked HS2 Ltd to halt any work on the Eastern leg . All very very quiet (in fact as quiet as the grave) on the Eastern front.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

https://reason.org/wp-content/uploads/f ... essons.pdf

Japan - $3m - $30m per mile (Japan built early)
France - $4m per mile
Germany - $40m per mile
Spain - $40m per mile
Italy - $100m per mile
China - $40m per mile

HS2 : $400m per mile

Japan is building a 400mph supercooled superconducting levitating science fiction back-to-the-future flying MAGLEV at lower cost per mile than HS2
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
slinger (Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:17 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

We're probably spending about £10k a mile, and the rest is taken up in bribes and slurp, to use a word some might be familiar with. :lol:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
CN211276 (Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:53 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

Still no confirmed news about the Eastern leg of this shit show. It was supposed to be announced yesterday but has been put back again. The Independent has reported that there will be a new Station in Leeds and a new line from there to Sheffield. This is seen as an essential part of levelling up via Northern Powerhouse Rail. The high speed trains will then have to use existing track the rest of the way to Birmingham. The new Leeds station is said to be a terminus.

The section of new track from Leeds towards York was set to go near to my house and through one of my fields. If the above is true then Leeds is the end of the liine for any high speed trains. Even if they were to continue past Leeds towards York and then North to Scotland then they look likely to use the existing track.

A result for me and people who live on this section . But countless other communities will still be affected along with many areas of natural beauty and areas important to wildlife. This giant waste of money should have been stopped but nobody has the balls to do it. I am however all for improving links between nearby centres of population even though I am unlikely to use them.
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

If it were anything to do with me it would be stopped and the sites restored to their original condition. It isn’t up to me so that won’t happen.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:38 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Geoff.R.G wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:33 pm If it were anything to do with me it would be stopped and the sites restored to their original condition. It isn’t up to me so that won’t happen.
We need Geoff as Prime Minister :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

The Integrated Rail Plan is set to be announced on Thursday. There is now even more reporting that the Eastern leg to Leeds is in effect scrapped but some new track from Leeds to Sheffield and Bimingham to East Midlands. The Northern Power house rail improvements are said to be downgraded and no new line between Manchester & Leeds.

If this is all true (and Tories do have a habit of leaking stuff to the press before hand) then the new HS2 track linking Leeds to the East Coast mainline will probably be scrapped . That is the bit that goes past my house. I will not count my chickens though until Thursday and the exact detail.

Northern leaders are furious at this news. Levelling up, what levelling up they say. Quite frankly I couldn't give a shit. None of this vanity project should be built at all.

If this is all true then on Thursday I will be having the mother of all parties. This rail line has been a plague on my life for the last ten years since it was announced.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
NSNO2021 (Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:38 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:23 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

The whole HS2 project is designed to do one thing and that is to reward the civil construction companies who donate so much to the Tory party funds, people like John Bamford of JCB fame. Whilst they won't scrap the main route to Manchester I think the rest will get chopped. I would think a lot more positively of the Labour party if they would actively oppose the main route before it's all too late.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
karatestu (Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:53 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I thought everyone realised that the full title of the initiative is "Levelling Up About As Far As Watford, And Then Fuck 'Em." But that's a bit of a mouthful, so they just call it Levelling Up for short.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 2):
Geoff.R.G (Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:33 pm) • karatestu (Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:53 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

slinger wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:45 pm I thought everyone realised that the full title of the initiative is "Levelling Up About As Far As Watford, And Then Fuck 'Em." But that's a bit of a mouthful, so they just call it Levelling Up for short.
HS2 goes nowhere near Watford! It also, conveniently, appears to miss the PM’s constituency.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:53 pm)