New Computer Problems - HELP!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

New Computer Problems - HELP!

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I had to get a new computer last week as my keyboard gave up, and it was getting old and worn anyway. I bought this bargain Lenovo Currys / PCWorld are doing with windows 10.

It has been fine until this evening when I was downloading Backgammon a message came up that the disc had run out of space and to close some programs. Weird! so I thought it would be easier to just re-boot, so I did. Up until this point it had been starting automatically but now it threw up a log-in screen. I tried to log in and it refused my login. I got out my old old computer, the one before the last one on Vista and got a new password, logged in worked fine. Thought I would try to see if the same happened again so re-booted, same thing wouldn't accept my new password I had to go back to Microsoft again to get another new one, working again and I am typing this on it.

So what the feck is happening, I don't want to turn the computer off again.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: New Computer Problems - HELP!

Bump!

George Hincapie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Where did you get the Backgammon download from?

If you can boot to a stable desktop then I'd get you to install Team Viewer and I could sort it out remotely. Switch the PC off, hold down F8 and switch it on again. A screen with text will come on, with several options. One will read 'Boot to last known good' or similar. Choose that and hit return. Let me know what happens.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I tried 2 I am not sure which one was the one when it fecked up

http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windo ... -FREE.html

http://download.cnet.com/Backgammon-7/3 ... 05149.html

I had it free on my Windows 7 now I can't get any of the time wasters I had, Backgammon and Solitaire and Hearts. Good for a break from the soldering iron and slurping tea.

AND why does so much of what Windows 10 does have adverts attached, it is really pissing me off :x

George Hincapie

So I suspect this might be your problem. When I checked this one of your links I got this warning from my software:

There's lots that can be done to sort this out, but (with respect) you don't seem to be computer savvy. I need to be at the keyboard. I'll PM you.

George Hincapie

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I tried 2 I am not sure which one was the one when it fecked up

http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windo ... -FREE.html

http://download.cnet.com/Backgammon-7/3 ... 05149.html

I had it free on my Windows 7 now I can't get any of the time wasters I had, Backgammon and Solitaire and Hearts. Good for a break from the soldering iron and slurping tea.

AND why does so much of what Windows 10 does have adverts attached, it is really pissing me off :x
Never mind blabbering about that crap - we can sort the adverts out later. Did you reboot as I suggested?

George Hincapie

I am off to bed. If you are feeling adventurous you can try making a boot CD on your good PC following the instructions here: https://www.eset.com/int/support/sysres ... ersion=9.0

Then use that disc to boot your new PC (assuming it has an optical drive. If not then those instructions will help you make a boot USB stick to do the same thing), then run it to scan your HDD without booting the OS.

Or just leave it to me and I will do it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

As I have said many times I am a computer idiot.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Looks like you downloaded some malware. Windows 10 should have warned you! BTW to access F8 in win 10 you must switch off computer and not shut down from the start menu. If you want backgammon go to windows store app and search (several versions available).
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Classicrock wrote:Looks like you downloaded some malware. Windows 10 should have warned you! BTW to access F8 in win 10 you must switch off computer and not shut down from the start menu. If you want backgammon go to windows store app and search (several versions available).
They all have bloody adverts :x :x :x :x :x :x :x