Back to basics-ish

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
jimbob
Great Britain

Re: Back to basics-ish

Unread post by jimbob »

The Denon has arrived and looks like a rather nice and simple unit. I've had it connected at work to check it plays okay. Unfortunately I'm away for a couple of days so won't be able to put it into my system until Sunday. I've also borrowed a friend's Cyrus CD7 and power supply to compare it to. Initial listening on the crappy system at work shows similar levels of detail but with the Cyrus giving a more forward presentation as in from the speakers forward. The Denon is more from the speakers back and has a slightly fuller tone. I'm really looking forward to doing a comparison in my system at home.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Look forward to yer findings JB. :clap:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Take care with volume settings when comparing. It's not uncommon for some CD players to exceed the 2V nominal output and as a result, will 'appear' more impressive because the volume is ever so slightly louder. I was fooled recently when comparing two seemingly identical sound files, preferring one slightly. This latter one had ONE CHANNEL ONLY increased by half a db! That's all, but it was enough to hear 'a difference.'
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I've now had a chance to compare the Denon with the Cyrus and it's been quite interesting. In all honesty I can't say I prefer one to the other as they give very different presentations. I would say they both provide similar levels of detail but the Denon seems to have a deeper soundstage from front to back. The Cyrus has slightly better seperation but without the depth. The Cyrus is more forward sounding and possibly more exciting but I would have to spend more time with it to see if it's forwardness becomes irritating. The Denon gives a fuller and more atmospheric sound which I really like. The area where the Cyrus is a clear winner is in bass definition and clarity. The Denon just seems a tad soft and flat in comparison. I could happily live with either of these and indeed I will have to live with the Denon because it's mine! For a £130 CD player to come out in my opinion the equal is pretty astonishing. I don't know how much the Cyrus cost but with its seperate power supply I think it is probably multiples of the price of the Denon. If I had to choose a favourite I would pick the Cyrus but only because of the bass clarity but given the price difference I simply couldn't justify the cost for such a small improvement.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

Hi Jim

Mathewpiano on WHF (one of the few on there whose opinion I rate) is a firm advocate of your Denon CDP and for the money it's a no-brainer really. Enjoy!

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

It really is a very good CD player and having now removed the Cyrus and put the Denon back into my system I don't at all feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

Has that cyrus slot loading mech? I've had two of a kind and both had troubles with the mech...
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Old DAB player In kitchen is on its last legs.
Shona would now like (demands) a new one & a cd player.
looking for a wee one box solution Any ideas ?
Is this any good.....£179.
Denon DM40..jpg
Denon DM40..jpg (28.99 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
:guiness;

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Firebug1 wrote:Has that cyrus slot loading mech? I've had two of a kind and both had troubles with the mech...
No it's not a slot loading one. It's a CD7. It's a lovely bit of kit especially with the power supply but just not worth the extra to me.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

jammy395 wrote:Old DAB player In kitchen is on its last legs.
Shona would now like (demands) a new one & a cd player.
looking for a wee one box solution Any ideas ?
Is this any good.....£179.
Denon DM40..jpg
:guiness;
No idea jammy... Best to check the what HiFi reviews section... They are always reliable and unbiased! :lol: