Back to basics-ish

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
jimbob
Great Britain

Re: Back to basics-ish

Unread post by jimbob »

My thoughts so far are that I'm leaning towards the Cambridge CXC and will just have to put up with the extra box should I decide I need a DAC upgrade. I do like some of the old CD players but would like to have something reliable and not obsolete should anything go wrong. I'm not in any rush to get something so I will have a good think... Perhaps I should just look at getting a turntable... :whistle: :think:
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

You Could try this Jimbob........
http://www.brennan.co.uk/units
:guiness;

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Nice one jammy that looks really interesting.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well I have the older JB1 and its simple to use, I imagine the new JB2 will be even more user friendly. :guiness;
Whilst the JB1's built in amp is Okay, I use the unit with a pair of NVA Mk1 A40's, a great improvement. :dance:

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Haha I can imagine a pair of A40's would liven things up a bit! :dance: I'm keeping my options open but I do like the loom of the JB2. I also really like the look of the Cambridge transport... :doh:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Technology is so damned cheap these days that I really would suggest a listen to the little Denon that Alfafan recommended. We've been so conditioned to high-profit stuff over the years making prices high (in my opinion).

I was given an ancient working 'Bitstream' Marantz CD583 since nobody on AOS wanted it and it was due for the tidy-tip. It's sat in our garage for a couple of years before our current clear-out brought it to light. Thick with dust inside, it's a cheap plastic chassis with the absolute minimum of parts and it's amazing it works at all in all honesty. The 'Marantz' bit over the Philips original chassis looks to be just two output caps changed for slightly posher ones. I powered it up and it's running just fine with a pleasant sound that won't move any mountains. How much did this thing cost to make? Peanuts is my estimation, even back in the 80's - I mean twenty quid absolute tops (I remember how Philips priced things up). I can't remember the rrp, but have a suspicion that it was the thick end of £200..

My plea to everyone - from my perspective obviously, is to largely ignore the cost of things unless the casework is flash and expensive, as the important (to us) bits inside are often very cheap to fabricate and assemble...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I have cracked under the pressure of Dave and have just ordered the Denon suggested by Alfafan. I will update once I've had a listen to it! Thanks for the suggestions!

alfafan123

Unread post by alfafan123 »

Hi Jimbob :grin: ,

Ooh that was a quick decision did you listen to it? ..anyway hope you like it!

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

No I didn't listen to it as I doubt I'd have had a chance to demo one at home. As it stands I've ordered it online so I will return if I'm not happy with it!

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

It's cheap enough and I feel the lack of areas for bodgers to tweak it, other than power supply size, will definitely work in its favour - I think...

Hope it works for you..
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...