Heroes

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
phlakaton
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heroes

Unread post by phlakaton »

Richard Sinclair:

A mate of mine had a small time covers band just playing gigs around Bexley area. One time he was short of a bass player and so we found Richards numbers in the MU hand book and gave him a call for a laugh. To our surprise he agreed, came up to Bexley-heath, did the gig, and came out for beer and curry after.

What a hero !!!!
Main:
Speakers-NVA CUBE 1
Amps-NVA T.D.S.
Pre.- NVA T.C.S
Power-NVA BMU
DAC- Chord 2QUTE
Inter- NVA SSC and LS5
Source- VortexBox
Portable:
Bose sound link Colour
B&O Beolit 15
Ears:
Sure SE 846
Proguard earphone eartips

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Is not incapie Armstrongs enabler?
Is that a genuine question, or were you just being unkind?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

DQ being unkind, what a suggestion :mrgreen:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

George Hincapie wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:Is not incapie Armstrongs enabler?
Is that a genuine question, or were you just being unkind?
genuine question . as a teen I was keen cyclist and Armstrong fan . A few years ago I sent him a letter saying your book is a tableau of lies ,please refund me the asking price . I still wait .

hincapie was armstrongs domestigue , he rode all 7 of armstrongs cheating tour de frances which are now erased from the record books . In admitted to cheating with a pious statement

" Because of my love for the sport, the contributions I feel I have made to it, and the amount the sport of cycling has given to me over the years, it is extremely difficult today to acknowledge that during a part of my career I used banned substances. Early in my professional career, it became clear to me that, given the widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs by cyclists at the top of the profession, it was not possible to compete at the highest level without them. I deeply regret that choice and sincerely apologize to my family, teammates and fans."

it would seem a curious choice of idol ?

George Hincapie

Daniel Quinn wrote:it would seem a curious choice of idol ?
Why?

He is a genuinely decent guy, a hard worker, doesn't like the limelight, doesn't like to take credit for the win, puts the needs of the team before his own needs, is reliable, a strong family man, is well liked in the Pro Peloton. There are many similarities between he and I in that context. In order to be competitive during a time of rampant drug abuse he made some poor choices. During active service in Iraq and Afghanistan I had to make some choices and do things that 'normal' people might not understand or may consider reprehensible. Does that define me as a person? No, of course not. I still have to live with it, but that's on me. So in that, we are the same.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I can appreciate your personal empathy with the man . I accept he may also be a nice man . However , I know plenty of nice men .

For me he is a cyclist who cheated and did so by exhibiting a grain of selfishness [along with most of the rest ] that I find disheartening .

for example , when David Millar was banned . Seems to me the likes of Hincapie , should have stood up and said we are all at it ban him ban me .

I would have liked to have seen him display a greater spirit of community as indeed is promoted in the Army .

I am sure Hincapie was well rewarded by Armstrong and complicit in the greatest sporting cheat ever .

I also appreciate that this simply two differing opinions upon the same circumstance .

George Hincapie

Daniel Quinn wrote:I can appreciate your personal empathy with the man . I accept he may also be a nice man . However , I know plenty of nice men .

For me he is a cyclist who cheated and did so by exhibiting a grain of selfishness [along with most of the rest ] that I find disheartening .

for example , when David Millar was banned . Seems to me the likes of Hincapie , should have stood up and said we are all at it ban him ban me .

I would have liked to have seen him display a greater spirit of community as indeed is promoted in the Army .

I am sure Hincapie was well rewarded by Armstrong and complicit in the greatest sporting cheat ever .
Cyclists, and all elite sports men and women, are by their very nature incredibly selfish creatures. Without that drive to succeed, there can be no victory.

And there's nothing wrong with your view (not that your opinion needs validation from me), except to say that you'd need to write off every single year of racing probably 2 years pre-Postal to almost modern day. There are rumours going back further still to Mercx and Hinault. Different drugs, but we aren't making distinctions are we?

I have no evidence, but feel fairly confident that you would find drug abuse in all sports at elite level where it would confer a performance advantage. Human nature is what it is.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Could'nt we have a 2 tier system.

Tier 2 could be the unassisted norm's and would have to ride Raleigh Choppers.
Tier 1 could be the drug assisted smack heads and could ride the proper 30 speed featherweight race bikes.

I know which I would watch....... :mrgreen:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Tier 2 - Norms..jpg
Tier 2 - Norms..jpg (201.53 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
Tier 1 - Dope Peddlers..jpg
Tier 1 - Dope Peddlers..jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
:guiness;