Are all modern cars boring?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
alfafan123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Are all modern cars boring?

Unread post by alfafan123 »

In me mis-spent youth I owned a Alfa Sud Ti .They only did about a ton (do you need it to go faster?) steered nicely, handled beautifully, sounded wonderful and look great :dance: . They needed me to fix them (frequently! :angry-screaming: ) but made driving fun oh yes and they disappeared before ones eyes in a pile of rust in less than a year. So I got myself a Golf GTI ..oh so boring so returned to the Alfa fold until I got married and then boring sensible cars.

Wind the clock forward to today and it seems to me cars are so boring. To me the more expensive and german cars (dons tin hat) are the worst. Sadly :grin: phew relief I can't compete with Marco's Merc's etc and to be honest not sure I want to. Also the more expensive they are the more irrelevant they are to the needs of todays world....and yet people seem desperate to "mortgage" themselves with PCPs etc to get 'em. :think: and suffer all the depreciation etc.

Would be great to know if this is how others see it and if they have found an affordable fun car to own I would love to know about it :grin:

:guiness; .....but not while driving!

Chris

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Are all modern cars boring?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I fully agree, unless a car had character even faults so you could show skill, that was the fun and Alfas had buckets of it (owned 5). BUT at some point you have to grow up and realise that a car is not a toy. A car for me now is a *thing* to move me and my stuff from A to B in some comfort and space, I hate squeezing into small or low down cars now. I also now drive within speed limits, when young a speed sign was seen as a challenge, now I sit at 30 in 30 40 in a...etc and just get in the way of my younger self :mrgreen:

Growing up - getting old - you decide.

alfafan123

Unread post by alfafan123 »

the missus says the same :( ..and although I now also want comfort and space and rarely exceed the limits (honest officer :shifty: !) I still want a rewarding driving experience where the driver is not optional like it made me feel in my VW Polo :( . You wouldn't have thought it should be beyond the collective capabilities of the world's auto industry to tick that box while meeting todays environmental needs?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Get another Alfa, the fun factor is less in the newer ones but they still have a message and a character. Kaz has a 146 (I think) they are fun according to him and 2nd hand Alfa prices are very good for the buyer.

Orc 201267

Unread post by Orc 201267 »

From the age off 40 i have owned
Volvo v70 D5 AWD 2007 good but like you say a bit boaring to drive
Merc clk 55 amg very fast but again boaring
Golf tdi not bad to drive
Audi tt 2lt tfsi brilliant to drive so much fun but a pain to get into and out
Bmw1 2lt tdi total crap
Now have a freelander 08 td4 and love it its not as good as the audi tt but not far off its brill
Life is to short to do all the things I want to do

Orc 201267

Unread post by Orc 201267 »

I say 40 as ive calmed down now as to wat i used to be in car i leave that for the motorbike to supply the fun and frills now :grin: :grin:
Life is to short to do all the things I want to do

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Alfa's fell to pieces as you looked at them, even in the late 80's I remember, when a rep's one dropped it's drivers door on the road at 18 months old! Any car in the 70's only had a life of around five years before rust became a big or even terminal issue, yet my old family hatchback now is 15years old and just showing bits here and there which I'll have to deal with soon.

Enjoy the modern family car you have now and marvel that the tiny engine it has is so powerful and economical. Yes, the controls are light, but I bet the ride and handling are a class apart from the truth of what you remember, along with the longevity, not to say the far superior noise levels and stereo sound quality available today in a car.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Aye as we grow up, we tend to wisen up, and the boy racer urge's tend to diminish somewhat.
Yes cars aint near so much fun as they used to be, you could fix the old uns with spanners now you need a lap top.
I had a couple rocket ships in me yoof but now have a Skoda Yeti & Citroen Berlingo (Our lifestyle somewhat dictates).

One of my many momments of madness and crashes.....When I look back, there is indeed a God.

Remember Racing my "Datsun 120Y Coupe against an Alfasud" neck n neck at a ton, and I had a front wheel blow out
Ended up in a ditch with only my pride damaged :pray: the driver of the Alfasud stopped and gave me a lift to a garage.

SHE :o is now my Bank manager.........we still have a laugh about it. :lol:

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

All black ones are boring, Oh mines black under the dirt of London.

OK this car for ever,

It can be done so imagine it.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

A few car's to covet when I was young n Daft........Ah they dont make em like they used to. :mrgreen:

SORRY TRIED TO EDIT AND FUKED UP...... :oops:

:guiness;