Soft close door systems on luxury cars

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
howardc1951

Soft close door systems on luxury cars

Unread post by howardc1951 »

Just thought I'd mention this. My wife came home today after being given a lift in a friend's Mercedes. When she went to close the door she got her thumb caught in the door. The problem is that, in order to make sure that doors are properly closed, they fit an electric motor to each door to pull the door tightly shut. Doors are heavy so the motors are powerful. They fit a sensor to detect when the door is almost shut but they don't fit a sensor to detect if anything is in the way like a finger or two. There's an account on the internet of a Bentley owner who's wife almost lost the use of her thumb when the bone got crushed as well as a number of reports from BMW owners. It doesn't bare thinking about what would have happened if it had been one of the grand children closing that door instead of my wife judging from the damage to her thumb which had deep cuts to it. So if you're offered a lift in a modern luxury car, or indeed if you own one, just remember: THE DOORS BITE!

Daniel Quinn

Re: Soft close door systems on luxury cars

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Our 19 year old Toyota Estima has this feature on the sliding side door, luckily its never caught anyones fingers.

wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

Never had that problem on my old land rover,you had to run at it with a drop kick to have any hope of closure...
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Howard.....Imagine rich oil working doggers.....It doesn't bare thinking about.
A wuillie could easily be lost in the pursuit of fun.... :shifty:
I drove a ford mexico in those days........you could slam the doors with yer cock in it.
10 mm gap all round..... :lol: