Shall we have our own election

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shall we have our own election

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Look at history DQ, all the answers to everything are there. All the Tory cabinet did was create a catalyst. Well they now have to put up with it or feck off!

What do you think of a federalist system for the UK based on States. N. Ireland, Kernow, Cymru, Alba (Scotland), Danelaw (NE and borders), Red Rose, White Rose, Middle Earth (Mercia), Anglia, and East and West Saxons (London and the S. East). This represents what is still emotional and social divides. Or is that too many. Perhaps just N.Ireland, Wales, Scotland. N. England and S. England.

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

DQ that's :Bllocks:

Well it is partially correct in that being anti being told what to do by a bunch of English Pubic School persons of disputable parentage...

However, up here there is no real differentiation between (say) me who hails from the rough end of East Lancashire, Nigel Farage who come from somewhere or something, or your average merchant banker from Surrey. England is seen as Englandshire and the whole of those who dwell therein as English.

There was a certain Edinburgh individual who greeted me each morning with 'Mornin' you English bastard'. It was funny for about a week, but after three months I tipped his milk and cornflakes into his lap.... Other comments such as 'We aren't racist we just hate the f*****g English' were quite common, and equally funny.

When I enquired as to why the Milk Round never went to the English engineering universities such as Bradford, Aston et al, I was informed (by the department manager) it was deliberate as they 'didn't want any English in the department... This was the late 90's, and I mean the 1990's.

You see it in the bars when England are playing football against.... well anyone really! The whole bar turns out for Germany, Italy, Spain, Mars. It's a little less apparent in rugby but there are several snarling faces when England score a try... There's more emotion over Culloden and Bannockburn than more recent global conflicts. Once you see it as funny (which it is) it becomes an almost inexhaustable supply of amusement.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Personally Doc , i do not think a federalist solution is the answer , England is not big enough and there are not enough people . A better democracy which does not allow a party to do what the fuck it wants once it wins a majority of seats calculated by a crude archaic 1 vote constituency system .

this may soon come to a head . the Tories are committed to 12bn of tax cuts ,because of the promises they have made re vat , income tax and national insurance , these cuts will inevitably fall on out of work benefits , working families tax credits and child benefit .

This means they will hit Scotland harder than anyone else . They cant possibly get away with it .

Daniel Quinn

kimangelis wrote:DQ that's :Bllocks:

Well it is partially correct in that being anti being told what to do by a bunch of English Pubic School persons of disputable parentage...

However, up here there is no real differentiation between (say) me who hails from the rough end of East Lancashire, Nigel Farage who come from somewhere or something, or your average merchant banker from Surrey. England is seen as Englandshire and the whole of those who dwell therein as English.

There was a certain Edinburgh individual who greeted me each morning with 'Mornin' you English bastard'. It was funny for about a week, but after three months I tipped his milk and cornflakes into his lap.... Other comments such as 'We aren't racist we just hate the f*****g English' were quite common, and equally funny.

When I enquired as to why the Milk Round never went to the English engineering universities such as Bradford, Aston et al, I was informed (by the department manager) it was deliberate as they 'didn't want any English in the department... This was the late 90's, and I mean the 1990's.

You see it in the bars when England are playing football against.... well anyone really! The whole bar turns out for Germany, Italy, Spain, Mars. It's a little less apparent in rugby but there are several snarling faces when England score a try... There's more emotion over Culloden and Bannockburn than more recent global conflicts. Once you see it as funny (which it is) it becomes an almost inexhaustable supply of amusement.
All that hatred and they still didnt vote for independance :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Look at the US Federal system, the States have a lot of autonomy, they can set their own laws and raise their own taxes, and just about everything, but there are responsibilities that are for the legislature and for Congress and the House. It is a system that has proved to work even if rather corrupt in their case. But that is the American way, a bit of grease on the wheels and cogs as they call it has always been in American politics. The Prime Minister and Cabinet becomes the Legislature. I don't think this needs a separate election as in the US Presidential elections, the Commons (House) and a reformed Lords (Congress) can do that on a free vote.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Not big enough :-? we have a bigger population than all the Atlantic seaboard States from Maine to Florida a total of 14 States put together.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Daniel Quinn wrote:
kimangelis wrote:DQ that's :Bllocks:

All that hatred and they still didnt vote for independance :lol:
I think they did it deliberately so they can "invade" the "English Parliament" and cause as much trouble and disruption as they can. I bet they all turn up in kilts with no knickers, and when they don't agree with something give the Scottish salute on mass.

Daniel Quinn

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Not big enough :-? we have a bigger population than all the Atlantic seaboard States from Maine to Florida a total of 14 States put together.
usa as 300 million more people and is 15x larger . IN England different laws , schools , transport networks , tax rules would be inefficient and probably unworkable .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Our system is already half way there, it would only take tinkering. The consensus is something has to be done, our political system needs to be reformed. There are two logical alternatives as I see it, a full Republic or Federal States within a constitutional monarchy. It seems the Scots hate us but like our (inc theirs) German Royal family, so that could be the hub that keeps the spokes attached.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

DQ we are 65 million USA is as you say 300 million.

I think you maths has gone wrong 15 time 65 million is over a Billion.