Taking the piss out of politics

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Taking the piss out of politics

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:51 am
valvesRus wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:29 pm
savvypaul wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 pm
Valvesrus

Has Johnson denied the affair...?
I don't know.

If you made a list of MPs (male and female) from all parties (say for the last 25 years) who had shagged (or buggered) out of wedlock it would be (I estimate) quite a long list.

Does being a "shagger" make an MP bad at his job ? I doubt it.
There's the old Jeremy Thorpe joke. Which is rather in keeping with the original spirit of this thread. And he's dead now, so I can't be bullying him.

Anyway.

Q. Why has Jeremy Thorpe got splinters in his anus?

A. Because he's had half the cabinet up there.

Although when I think of Jeremy Thorpe I think of the true story of when he landed in his helicopter in the fields at my brother's school when he was electioneering. He went round shaking everyone's hand etc - as politicians do. With a cluster of people buzzing round him all the time. The school clown keeping in close attendance.
When it was time to leave, Jeremy Thorpe had "Vote Conservative" stickers plastered all over his back.

Edit, for "balance" the Jeremy Thorpe joke could easily be adapted to a female politician that had the reputation for having sex with outside of a monogomous relationship.
Note the use of the phrase 'humbug'...

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi-agPf95M[/BBvideo]
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

https://youtu.be/2hOxwtvl6Js

Over forty years old and appropriate for this thread. The lyrics about crazy girls and making millions are very apt. :lol:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

In just the past 3 days the Conservatives Party has actively and deliberately set out to mislead the public on 3 separate occasions:

A fake 'fact check' Twitter page that was a relabelled account run by CCHQ.

A claim of £500 p.a. saving by removing low earners from Natoonal Insurance payments. The true amount is £85.

A fake website claiming to be about the Labour Party manifesto.

This is pretty desperate stuff. They are either gangsters or very worried that they are going to lose. Or both.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

There was also the doctoring of the Keir Starmer video...
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:11 pm In just the past 3 days the Conservatives Party has actively and deliberately set out to mislead the public on 3 separate occasions:

A claim of £500 p.a. saving by removing low earners from Natoonal Insurance payments. The true amount is £85.

This is pretty desperate stuff. They are either gangsters or very worried that they are going to lose. Or both.
Or they realize that the result of being caught doing the above will only offend those who would not vote for them anyway, so in fact there is no real down side. Unless there is actually some way of making this cost them something, then in the absence of ethics its a sound plan.

Its becoming a race to the bottom. Combined with the common idea that "they are all as bad as each other", an idea that its in the interest of the dodgy politician to encourage, as its makes it harder for the honest one (and there will be honest ones, they are not all as bad, on all sides there will be good and bad ones) to make a believable claim for rewarding better behavior.

We are getting the government we deserve, and the political consultants are doing their best to provide us with exactly that.
Last edited by Lurcher300b on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lurcher300b wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:32 pm
savvypaul wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:11 pm In just the past 3 days the Conservatives Party has actively and deliberately set out to mislead the public on 3 separate occasions:

Or they realize that the result of being caught doing the above will only offend those who would not vote for them anyway, so in fact there is no real down side. Unless there is actually some way of making this cost them something, then in the absence of ethics its a sound plan.
I'm afraid your analysis may be closer to the truth than mine...
I am in the hi-fi trade

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

There is a long way to go until 12 December and I dont think we have seen anything yet as far as lies and dirty tricks are concerned. I think there are a lot of floating votes in the marginals and lets hope that what is going on sinks in. It is all over my Facebook. There is very big money behind this Brexshite movement and it seems they fear it could be slipping away. :grin: i
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

I listened to Matt Hancock, Conservstive Minister for health on the R4 Today programme, this morning. He criticised Jeremy Corbyn for 'not being able to make his mind up on Brexit'.

Mr Hancock's record on Brexit is:

2016 pre referendum when David Cameron was PM Remain
2016 post referendum when Teresa May became PM: Leave
2018 when appointed as a minister by Teresa May : Leave with Teresa May's deal, only.
Early 2019: He says that leaving without a deal is not a sustainable position for any future British prime minister.
2019 after Boris Johnson becomes PM and says no deal cannot be stopped: Mr Hancock says that no deal cannot be stopped.

Mr Hancock appears somewhat unfamiliar with the practice of making up.ones own mind...
I am in the hi-fi trade

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

savvypaul wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:13 pm I listened to Matt Hancock, Conservstive Minister for health on the R4 Today programme, this morning. He criticised Jeremy Corbyn for 'not being able to make his mind up on Brexit'.

2018 when appointed as a minister by Teresa May : Leave with Teresa May's deal, only.
Early 2019: He says that leaving without a deal is not a sustainable position for any future British prime minister.
2019 after Boris Johnson becomes PM and says no deal cannot be stopped: Mr Hancock says that no deal cannot be stopped.

Mr Hancock appears somewhat unfamiliar with the practice of making up.ones own mind...
Equally bad are those who make up their mind and never change it, circumstances can change and wise people can re-evaluate their viewpoint.

savvypaul
Great Britain

valvesRus wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:37 pm
savvypaul wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:13 pm I listened to Matt Hancock, Conservstive Minister for health on the R4 Today programme, this morning. He criticised Jeremy Corbyn for 'not being able to make his mind up on Brexit'.

Equally bad are those who make up their mind and never change it, circumstances can change and wise people can re-evaluate their viewpoint.

Indeed, but I am clearly referring you to Mr Hancock's apparent motivation for his change(s) of position, not his powers of critical analysis.

Before May resigned he said that no-deal was not possible and would be highly damaging. Immediately after Johnson was appointed he rowed back enthusiastically to say that no deal was 'unstoppable '.

It is a cameo to show how serious politicians with integrity and genuine beliefs- dominic grieve, David gawke, rory stewart - have been driven out the party in favour of 'vacuous prostitutes' such as Hancock.
I am in the hi-fi trade