Taking the piss out of politics

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Taking the piss out of politics

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:12 am
The way people - in general - behave is entirely natural. If people - in general - behaved in a different way then the nature of people would be different.

Erm... condoms?

Come to think of it (pun intended), you're right, though, in that many Brexiteers are keen to hurtle toward significant and costly consequences without care or precaution.

A few years back I asked some of my Brexity friends a couple of questions:

What will be tangibly better after Brexit?
What is the first EU Law you will change?

The only answer I've had is..."Don't worry, darling, it'll be fine".

More condoms, anyone?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 am
The way people - in general - behave is entirely natural. If people - in general - behaved in a different way then the nature of people would be different.

Erm... condoms?

Come to think of it (pun intended), you're right, though, in that many Brexiteers are keen to hurtle toward significant and costly consequences without care or precaution.

More condoms, anyone?
Adolf Hitler had some ideas you might like to consider. :evil:

I may not like what some may think about Brexit (in particular) and politics (in general) but I would defend their right to express them.

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Erm... condoms?

More condoms, anyone?
Another few examples, smoking, drink driving and hunting whales. To say that its not possible to change how people regard things and the decisions they make is not shown by any observation of the real world.

For another example, compare national behaviour in Japan and England, its very different, is that because one of them is not human? No, they are both human, but different, therefore change is possible.

Using a circular option as you are "human is as human does" is a pointless as "brexet means brexet".

Just because you or I, or this group cant cause change does not mean that change is impossible.

And yes, of course Vulcan's are fictional, but it was you that first used them as an example. But remember, while fictional, the idea of such a race was invented by a human, which given the unchanging conformity you suggest would be original thinking you seem to not accept exists.

Lurcher300b

Adolf Hitler had some ideas you might like to consider.
That does prove the point you may think you are arguing against, change can happen in all directions. But it can happen, and then unhappen.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

valvesRus wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:05 am

Erm... condoms?

More condoms, anyone?
Adolf Hitler had some ideas you might like to consider. :evil:

I may not like what some may think about Brexit (in particular) and politics (in general) but I would defend their right to express them.
And the right for others to criticise them...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:49 am
And the right for others to criticise them...
Criticise the idea by all means, but suggesting the person should not have been born is going a step too far. :shock:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I've lifted this straight from a piece I wrote on Farcebook, give it a go if you can, it honestly works...
Just like Edmund Blackadder's trusty (or not so trusty) sidekick Baldrick, Boris Johnson has a cunning plan. It's a very simple plan, and all it involves is the name, Boris.

Can you remember any other Prime Minister who was so well-known by his or her first name, other than in terms of derision?

His minsters, when interviewed say things like "Boris says..." or "Boris's plan is..," where just a few short weeks ago we were hearing "The Prime Minister this," or "Mrs May that," and more rarely "Theresa May is/has/whatever..."

None of her ministers would have dreamt of going on telly to let us know what "Theresa's" plans were, or what "Theresa" had said. And none of us would have discussed “Theresa” down the pub.

Cameron was never “David or Dave,” Brown was never “Gordon and certainly never Gordy,” Blair was never... actually, the less said about what he was or wasn't the better.

"Ah," you might say, but it's because Boris is such an affable chap. And there it is. You've just tumbled head-first into the Bojo trap.

His evil plan is simply to have us call him "Boris". That's all it is. Because by using what amounts to his nickname (his first name is actually “Alexander” don't forget, like the Meerkat) we are "humanising" him. I would say that we're anthropomorphising him, but that might be going be a tad too far.

Try this. Force yourself to refer to him only as "The Prime Minister", "Mr Johnson", “Johnson”, or perhaps "Bloody Johnson", and watch your attitude towards him subtly change. Even if you disliked him to start with it is possible (trust me on this) to dislike him even more without the “Boris buffer” or “Boris filter” getting in the way

No more will he appear the bumbling, tousle-haired eccentric. No more is he "Silly old Boris" or the Boris of "Oh, it's only Boris," fame.

He becomes just another Tory Prime Minister, as devious, heartless and avaricious, as all those who have gone before him and who will come after him.

Boris is dead, long live Mister Johnson.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Lurcher300b

Good point, but calling Thatcher Maggie didn't make me despise her any less.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

TroutFisher wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:37 am
CN211276 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:04 pm He could have found a cheaper prossie than Jennifer Arcuri. But she was paid for from public funds so it did not matter. :lol:
Fuck me, you can’t resist posting misinformation, can you. There is no evidence for what you have said. You really are one of the most unhelpful people on this thread. Some of us are seeking truth to establish how we vote in a few weeks time. Your nonsense is seriously unhelpful.
Did you see the ITV programme? The evidence is incontrevertable. She exchanged sex for favours to assist her business interests. That in my book is prostitution. What matters is is that he paid for her with large sums of public funds. I know who I will be voting for and it will not be a PM being investigated by the Police for misconduct in office. Anyone who does needs to take a long hard look at themself.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:31 am
antonio66 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:19 am
TroutFisher wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:37 am

Fuck me, you can’t resist posting misinformation, can you. There is no evidence for what you have said. You really are one of the most unhelpful people on this thread. Some of us are seeking truth to establish how we vote in a few weeks time. Your nonsense is seriously unhelpful.
I thought misinformation was what politics was all about.
Keep posting CN, and for others read the title of this thread.
Welcome home. Hope you had a great holiday.
I had a great time thank you Paul. Since arriving back 6 days ago I've had a bad cold, although feeling better today. Will have to put the 'improved' P90sa in system and give it a listen, maybe tomorrow.