Taking the piss out of politics

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Taking the piss out of politics

Unread post by Lindsayt »

CN211276 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 pm
valvesRus wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:53 pm
SteveTheShadow wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:43 pm
The crime in all this, is that the fucking question was ever asked in the first place.
52% of the population may not agree.
I think the situation might have changed now. They did not know what they were voting for. This is why the Brexitiers are so scared of a second referendum.
I was quite aware of what I was voting for.

Also very aware of parliament's and the civil service history of fucking up anything involving a somewhat complex project plan by letting dates slip and going way over budget.

Another Brexit referendum might be sensible, however it sets the very dangerous precedent that in the future any referendums - especially on topics with a near 50 50 split - may be meaningless because all parliament has to do is to prevaricate over implementing the results of the referendum and make it look like a task that is beyond them and then hold another referendum in the hope that it gives them a result that is easier for them to implement.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:58 am
valvesRus wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:53 pm

52% of the population may not agree.
I think the situation might have changed now. They did not know what they were voting for. This is why the Brexitiers are so scared of a second referendum.

Also very aware of parliament's and the civil service history of fucking up anything involving a somewhat complex project plan by letting dates slip and going way over budget.

Another Brexit referendum might be sensible, however it sets the very dangerous precedent that in the future any referendums - especially on topics with a near 50 50 split - may be meaningless because all parliament has to do is to prevaricate over implementing the results of the referendum and make it look like a task that is beyond them and then hold another referendum in the hope that it gives them a result that is easier for them to implement.
The most dangerous precedent has already been set - to continue unquestioning on a course, regardless of vital emerging information, based on a one off vote on one day, that was near a 50 / 50 result. If a CEO acted in such a way they would be held to be negligent.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Marillion joined in with the spirit of this thread last night. They performed "The hollow man" with images of politicians projected on the screen. No prizes for guessing who featured most. :lol:

Just read about a programme about him on ITV at 11pm tonight featuring his ex "buisness" partner and how he treated her. Should be interestinng. :grin:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

savvypaul wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:42 am
Lindsayt wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:58 am

The most dangerous precedent has already been set - to continue unquestioning on a course, regardless of vital emerging information, based on a one off vote on one day, that was near a 50 / 50 result. If a CEO acted in such a way they would be held to be negligent.
Are you referring to emerging information like this posted by DSJR on 31st August in this thread? :grin:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50198&p=196354&hili ... ls#p196354
_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:56 am I'd like to post this quote, which I think at the beginning paragraphs at least, sums up many people's views and then goes on -

'I have realised that the Remainers have been right all along when they say I did not know all the true facts before voting to leave, and it's true! We WERE lied to apparently - so I decided to do a little research.

I just voted to leave because I thought our sovereignty was being compromised by foreign unelected masters. That we were compelled to have unlimited uncontrolled immigration, our laws and export agreements dictated by Brussels bureaucrats - and had to pay eye-watering amounts for the privilege

However...

I did not know more than 10,000 EU officials get paid more than our Prime Minister.

I did not know that, unlike the UK, 18 countries get more back from the EU than they put in.

I did not know that the EU occupies over 45 buildings - 2 of which were purpose built monuments of grandeur and are the largest buildings in Europe.

I did not know that the EU Parliament spends 150 million euros a year moving to Strasbourg every month for 4 days committee meetings - and any attempt to stop this madness is vetoed by France.

I did not know that the EU has had a huge luxury shopping Mall built in Brussels for exclusive use of EU employees.

I did not know that every day queues of chauffeur driven cars, with their engines running, wait outside EU establishments while their occupants go in, sign in for their attendance allowance and expenses, then come straight back out and are driven away.

I did not know that many of them (like the Kinnocks) end up as millionaires as a reward for looking the other way!

I did not know that Clegg was lying when he mocked Nigel Farage for saying that an EU army was being planned - and Brussels said all along that it would NEVER happen.

I did not know that the EU had been financing the mass movement of industries from UK to mainland Europe.

I did not know that every member of the EU Council has to swear an Oath of Allegiance to the EU - so they are not a country's representative to the EU. They are the EU's representative to the country!

I could go on and on but suffice it to say that I have never for a moment doubted the correctness of my decision but I am now more sure than ever.

I am so glad that the Remainers prompted me to look deeper into the bureaucratic absurdity of being in the EU.

Apart from all that, everything's fine and anything Boris does to upset the silly and biased little Speaker and other pant-wetters in Parliament gets my full backing!'

savvypaul
Great Britain

No.

Basing an important decision on only the evidence that suits your emotional prejudices would also be negligent..
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lindsayt
Nauru

savvypaul wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 am No.

Basing an important decision on only the evidence that suits your emotional prejudices would also be negligent..
Planet Earth is populated by Human Beings, not Vulcans. :twisted:

Emotional based decision making is the de facto mode of operating. :angry-soapbox:

savvypaul
Great Britain

An oft used excuse for ignoring inconvenient truths...we are capable of both logic and emotion, Captain. Sometimes, even, simultaneously.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Emotional based decision making is the de facto mode of operating.
Maybe, but science, engineering, the military and most companies have created perfectly good processes to prevent that. Its not too much to ask that we run our country in the same way.

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:02 pm
Emotional based decision making is the de facto mode of operating.
Maybe, but science, engineering, the military and most companies have created perfectly good processes to prevent that. Its not too much to ask that we run our country in the same way.
Well said.
And I think processes need not actually “prevent” to be worthwhile, merely “limiting” or “mitigating against” is helpful!
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

My wife bought a scatter cushion for the sofa in the front room a month ago. Really excited about it she was. It’d been made to look great in the shop window.
Turned out it didn’t go with our sofa. Or the carpet. Or the curtains. Or the lampshade. Or the wallpaper. Or her clothes.
The dissonance was intolerable.
We just had to sort it.
So I’ve bought a new 3 piece suite and curtains to match the cushion. Redecorated. Laid a new carpet. Fitted a new lampshade. And bought her a new wardrobe.
All done now.
Last edited by Docfoster on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers