Introduce Yourself

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Confucius 753
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Introduce Yourself

Unread post by Confucius 753 »

Hello everybody,
I am Confucius 753 a retired Associate Electronics Engineer after 41 years of work. I never worked in the audio field, but I have an insatiable curiosity about
audio equipment. I came to this site because of the NVA amplifiers,though I don't have "suitable" equipment for their optimal use. My present audio system has the following items:
Source: Thorens TD 325 turntable with Micro-Benz M-2 Silver Reference cartridge
Lucacheck PP-1 phonostage
Ayon Audio CD-2 CD player
Conrad Johnson A10 valve line amplifier
Antique Sound Lab AQ 1008DT valve mono blocks
Martin Logan Vantage hybrid electrostatics
Homegrown Audio silver interconnects
Van den Hull nondescript speaker cables

I became very curious about the NVA amplifiers especially their performance/price ratio. Of course I rely only on what I read as I never had the opportunity of
hearing them.
Well, that's all for now.

Best regards

Confucius 753

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Introduce Yourself

Unread post by slinger »

Welcome Confucius. Although we have a NVA "room" here we're not specifically a NVA forum, so feel free to ask questions about NVA if you want, but please don't feel your contributions should be constrained by the brand.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Welcome confucius..........Enjoy the forum.
That is quite a collection of audio components you have there...!!! :clap:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Confucius, your profile flag shows Romania but your english is perfect, are you a Brit abroad?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

zebbo wrote:Confucius, your profile flag shows Romania but your english is perfect, are you a Brit abroad?
YOU CAN ASK HIM SOON........................ :shifty:

Confucius 753

:grin: No, I'm no Brit abroad and thank you, but my English is far from perfect.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

So are you UK based or Romania based. If Romania how is the hi-fi scene there, are there shops or is it all internet.

Confucius 753

I live in Israel but I choose the Romanian flag because I was born there .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have discovered a while back that I should call myself a Jew. My mother was born in Bavaria in 1913 to a Jewish community that had been force converted to Catholic a couple of hundred years ago, but they privately kept up most Jewish traditions including marrying within the community. Her father in 1913 had been conscripted to a Bavarian regiment that had Prussian officers. Like most Bavarians he hated Prussians and had a fight with a Prussian officer, was courts martialed and was sentenced to be shot. His friends in the regiment helped him escape and he got out of Germany by swimming the Rhine. Somehow he ended up with the Brits who recruited him to the secret services and he was put back behind the lines during the war. After the war the British Gov was so grateful they set him up in business. He went back and got my mother from Germany in 1919 as his wife her mother had died and he had remarried an English Girl. The family name was Winkleman but changed in UK to Wilkey because it wasn't good to have a German name back then. Anyway no mention of any Jewish connection, almost as though she was ashamed of it, I and my sisters were baptised in a C of E church because it was near by, but none of us were religious. Though my mother had some odd ideas about food and how they mixed at meals which was odd to us children, though we were eating Pork.

Anyway to finish the story my Niece fell in love with an Orthodox Jewish boy from Manchester while he was in London, but his family said they had to split up. Dani (my niece) was very upset so my mother said you can marry him as you are Jewish blood from an unbroken female line. Well we were all shocked, but accepted it, the boys family checked up and accepted it, but said Dani had to convert. Anyway young love being what it is they divorced two years later :roll: but the wedding was good. So without that my mother probably would never have told us. So Shalom and Mazel Tov :mrgreen:

Confucius 753

Shalom
Quite a story that of your Bavarian grandfather. Sorry to hear about your niece's divorce, but that's so common today. I have a son living in Paris and though he's
35 years old does not even think of marriage. His mother died when he was 9 years old.