Andrew!

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Andrew!

Unread post by wallace »

At least you were doing something useful.I had two ribs cracked whilst being hugged by a very pissed friend in a full plaid outfit,who looks a bit like Braveheart's dad.
It was at least a month before i could turn over in bed without a scream.Go easy on the water of life matey,and a happy hogmanay to ye.Just be your normal grumpy self and you will be OK.. :grin:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I fugged up Andrew's HFS mojo and feel wretched about it. I've tried to take the worst part out of posts I made a few weeks ago which were the final straw and, once new year is out of the way and I get back to work, I hope to leave you lot alone as much as possible :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I fugged up Andrew's HFS mojo and feel wretched about it. I've tried to take the worst part out of posts I made a few weeks ago which were the final straw and, once new year is out of the way and I get back to work, I hope to leave you lot alone as much as possible:)
Don't batter yourself over it Dave, things happen in forums, i am sure he's a big enough man to get over it and come back at some point.

Please don't curb your posts, you're one of a handful of regular posters both here and over there i have time for,
your encyclopedic knowledge of kit and sound advice is most valued,together with tales from the trade is most enjoyable.

Happy New Year !!!
Frank...made me do it.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I fugged up Andrew's HFS mojo and feel wretched about it. I've tried to take the worst part out of posts I made a few weeks ago which were the final straw and, once new year is out of the way and I get back to work, I hope to leave you lot alone as much as possible :)
What? We're all grown ups Dave. Nothing you wrote could have been too bad or the Doc would've had ya! I like Andrew and his contributions but if he has got the hump and flounced off that's his problem.

Happy New Year Everyone ! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Yeah, but it was my 'Spanish Inquisition' of you and your preference for vinyl (or using an Oppo for CD) that was part of it! You handled me with great respect - thank you! And I did think about it afterwards and a sneaky memory of the wonderful sound the Mentor/Decca Microscanner came to the surface, where I could play record after record and NEVER worry about the 'sound' coming out :oops:

I still stand by a lot of what I said, BUT - there are ways of presenting info that is less patronising in tone and THIS is where I need to wind my neck in. The Doc told me it was this posting style that contributed to my being ridiculed on here a few years ago (I haven't forgotten).
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

joe

Unread post by joe »

I just post whatever I like without agonising over it. I'm only ever patronising about the use of English though, as my technical knowledge is limited to changing a plug.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I had hoped to remain as a reader of HFS but I can now see this is impossible. This will therefore be my last post, my last visit to HFS and also my final words on the subject. I won't return to answer PMs so please don't send any.

I'd tried to leave without making waves and I really appreciate the genuine comments form members here. Let me say clearly that my issues with Dave's posts were only a trigger and not a cause for my departure. As DQ and Jammy have rightly observed, I had faced a waning interest in matters hifi and also a weariness with what I feel are sometimes cyclical and entrenched arguments. There came a point where I just seemed to feel that time here was not growing me as a person and also not something I was enjoying. I left for a bit, came back and wasn't exactly sure how I felt. Dave's repeated comments on the vinyl thread did irritate me but in other times I'd have challenged them more doggedly.

In my current frame of mind, I just felt "feck it, I don't need this anymore" and left. As I say, a trigger and not a cause. I sent Dave a PM explaining this and also hopefully pointing out where I felt he was crossing the line. I also changed my avatar and signature to hopefully speak for themselves. I asked Dave not to respond as I didn't want to return.

I got a notification he had replied and left it a while. He then posted about feeling bad about things so I logged on to hopefully ease his mind. His response led me to think he hadn't taken anything I'd said on board so I confronted him with some "potted highlights of his comments" and asked him to take a long hard look and see if he really felt he wasn't straying beyond personal opinion as he claimed.

Again, I hoped for an end to the matter. Dave decided to amend his posts so there is no record of what I felt was inappropriate for a subjectivist forum. That would have been fine with with me.....until,his post saying that he stands by a lot of what he said. Can I therefore ask him to clarify what of the following "potted highlights" from only the first 3 pages of the vinyl thread he still stands by?

1. “Most audiophile turntables are so far removed from 'reality' it's not true, even if I many audiophiles prefer the sound to 'digital."

2. I am of course absolutely right and you have no idea about my professional connections or experiences at their behest!

Everything today is so subjective that 'reality' goes out the window! Before condemning me (the Carbon is one of a couple of dozen cartridges by the way), try to get a listen while a record is being cut. Compare an acetate to the original master and then both to the vinyl end product! THEN come back and tell me I'm wrong .

3. P.S. If CD's sound relentless and harsh, it's the speakers and/or amps causing it most likely!
NVA gear LOVES digital I've found, so the problem won't be there if you use NVA and other good amps!

4. What - you saying my experience and expertise is worthless? Just try to befriend a recording studio or mastering suite and go and bloody LISTEN! I know nothing about your job and wouldn't dream of challenging you on points of law you spent so many years and effort studying. My job might have been far nearer the bottom of the food chain in your eyes, but in my own way, I listened, studied (and remembered) and compared stuff for myself and those years have served me very well

5. Vinyl compared to the original master recording IS AN ABSOLUTE, limited by the vinyl itself, as anyone will hear if given the chance to compare as I have.

6. If you've yet to hear a CD outperform a record, either you're conditioned to the limited vinyl sound, or there's something wrong with your speakers (speakers are usually the culprit as they suffer severe distortion and phase anomalies at the crossover point)!

7.Look, I've studied this thing ad nauseum, know 'my truth' to be factual as told and demonstrated to me, so cannot argue/reason about it any more. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH RED BOOK CD if the mastering's been done properly and modern editing suites and 24 bit recording are entirely inaudible, as should be the maths to convert to red book 16/44. Fuggin 'ell fellas, FM radio, which itself adds loads of 2nd harmonic distortion, was piped around the UK on a THIRTEEN BIT digital signal, brick-walled at 15kHz and noise floor of minus 65db approx and all the audiophiles around praised the fantastic fidelity of live Radio 3 broadcasts.IT'S NOT THE FUGGIN' DIGITS causing the problem if you don't like the sound of digital!!!!!!!! The fact you prefer records speaks volumes about your system in all honesty - sorry, but I bet it's true!

8. Sheesh - I thought all this had been argued and proved beyond doubt years ago!!!!! I'm shutting up now.

9. I'm not doing a Marco FFS, I LOVE playing records, but there is a point where personal opinion tails away and indisputable facts come into the equation. Sorry, but there it is.

These were in a thread about vinyl sales and I felt it was thread crapping akin to the stuff from Darrylfunk we ridiculed on PFM. He was a producer and engineer in a studio who felt that his opinions were more important than others because of this and I saw a parallel with Dave's comments here. I found that unacceptable on a forum which (rightly) criticised people elsewhere but let it stand here. Ask yourselves, how would you react if these were Marco's words?

I feel these comments are completely against the forum ethos, writ large at the top of every page:

"The world of Hi-Fi is plagued by people trying to stop you commenting on what you hear and making decisions from it. This forum is different - here we do not allow people to challenge what people hear, and we can discuss the musical ability of our systems"

I don't want Dave to leave but I do want him and everyone's else to respect that other people may hear differently and understand the difference between opinion and fact. I really hope my post can stand for people to read, although if Dave wants to have my quotes of him removed so he can move on I wouldn't mind my post being edited after a suitable period, say a week.

I want to end by reiterating my signature and saying thanks to all here for the good times. I've enjoyed your company and the banter and I want to see HFS thrive, hence my efforts to protect its subjectivist stance. Things sometimes happen for a reason though, and this issue resurfacing has made it impossible for me to continue even as a reader, because I'm not moving on. I feel like really do need to do something else in my life and loitering here won't help me achieve that.

Thanks for listening. good luck and a Happy New Year.
Last edited by Andrew on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

And, although you probably will not read this, a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Andrew, if you do pop in to take a look at this; What the hell does it matter what Dave thinks or says? Has it stopped me from loving my vinyl replay - No. Has it made me question why I love it? - Maybe, but that doesn't alter the fact that I do. Don't forget, too, that at times he talks :Bllocks: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a good new year, everyone !
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

terrybooth wrote:And, although you probably will not read this, a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you.
+1
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X