Christmas Dinner.

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
southall-1998
Wales

Christmas Dinner.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

As per usual we are having Chicken.

What about you lot?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Christmas Dinner.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Normally have Goose, or occasionally Duck, but this year I really fancied a good well hung Highland Scot (from the shaggy hairy cooos with big horns) ribs of beef.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Normally have Goose, or occasionally Duck, but this year I really fancied a good well hung Highland Scot (from the shaggy hairy cooos with big horns) ribs of beef.
Have you ever been to the Oakleigh Kebab House for their lamb ribs?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The only one I can find with that name is in Whetstone which is between Barnet and Finchley. That is miles away from me.

Anyway ribs of beef is not just ribs it is a big roasting joint. This one http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Ab ... d=39365011

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Turkey, Stuffing, Roast spuds, Sprouts, Peas, Parsnips, etc. followed by Christmas pudding. I shall even light the pud up with Cognac. How boringly traditional is that? :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I find Turkey boring. I like the crunchy bits like the wings and the skin has flavour, but the white stuff on the breast, in my opinion it is like eating paper. A good chicken has more flavour.

Anyway Turkey only became popular in the late 19th century, the real British Christmas tradition was Goose.

wiicrackpot
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

[quote="Dr Bunsen Honeydew"]I find Turkey boring. I like the crunchy bits like the wings and the skin has flavour, but the white stuff on the breast, in my opinion it is like eating paper. A good chicken has more flavour.

Anyway Turkey only became popular in the late 19th century, the real British Christmas tradition was Goose.[/quote]

+1, much prefer the traditional British Christmas fayre of Goose, where i originate we consumes lots of Duck and Geese.

Merry Christmas Doc and a Happy New Year, may you and yours always live in happy times in your new home.
Frank...made me do it.

Dingsking
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Dingsking »

Beef Wellington in our house for the conneseurs and a Turkey Crown for the plebs (courtesy Andrew Mitchell). Happy Christmas to all.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Rolled brisket of beef (from our village farm) here - I always do the cooking in our house so get to choose. Oh...and a very nice bottle of Wine Society Exhibition Crozes-Hermitage too. :)

Turkey - as RD says - is NOT a traditional English Christmas meat and unless you're prepared to get something like a Norfolk Black it's fairly bland-tasting. Turkeys were introduced by the Americans (or certainly were for Christmas) and was used because the birds were a lot easier to look after than geese. Goose is good too as it's low in LDL cholesterol and high monounsaturated fats so it's a win-win.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. (Local butcher wins prizes for his beef, so finally giving it a try.)The only problem is that I don't like beef, so this will be my first attempt at this for more than 20 years. Childhood memories are strong things!
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro