The English Class System

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: The English Class System

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Probably what makes them sound musically wrong, and why no one else managed to copy the wrongness, which became a brainwash :lol:

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Probably what makes them sound musically wrong, and why no one else managed to copy the wrongness, which became a brainwash :lol:

Shhh don't tell anybody, but you may be right again he he
It can be done so imagine it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Colin, would you ever use LDRs because of Cadmium problem.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Colin Wonfor wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Probably what makes them sound musically wrong, and why no one else managed to copy the wrongness, which became a brainwash :lol:

Shhh don't tell anybody, but you may be right again he he
Colin if I had the time or the incentive I would / could write a book about it titled "The Flat Earth or how to hoodwink an industry". Or how about "How marketing can make a wrong right".

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Colin, would you ever use LDRs because of Cadmium problem.
Doc I have used them but the tiny things that are used are crap the bigger NORP series are better, BUT I now use a very old type made from Selenium, it smells of cabbage when it burn and is good I think, is it finger nails.
The same semiconductor used in old fashioned finned Selenium Rectifiers, NO No not Mercury even though I have used them too, God I am getting old shit pooo :angry-screaming:

joe

Unread post by joe »

southall-1998 wrote:Well, I'm certainly from a working class family. So yes, I'm working class myself.
Does it actually matter, and, if so, why?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It used to matter, it now matters less and less but the prejudices are still out there. I think Shane is trying to understand it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Colin Wonfor wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Colin, would you ever use LDRs because of Cadmium problem.
Doc I have used them but the tiny things that are used are crap the bigger NORP series are better, BUT I now use a very old type made from Selenium, it smells of cabbage when it burn and is good I think, is it finger nails.
The same semiconductor used in old fashioned finned Selenium Rectifiers, NO No not Mercury even though I have used them too, God I am getting old shit pooo :angry-screaming:
They are now banned in finished product in the EU. Sniffing a burning LDR gives you enough Cadmium fumes to kill you.

"Evidence in Humans. A variety of adverse health effects may result from acute exposure to cadmium compounds. The most widely recognized effects are seen in the respiratory system from the inhalation of cadmium fumes and dust. Acute pneumonitis occurs 10 to 24 hours after initial acute inhalation of cadmium fumes with symptoms such as fever and chest pain. Pulmonary edema may develop and cause death several days after exposure."

It also causes long term kidney failure and lung cancer. Yet people are still trying to use them - bonkers :naughty:

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Colin Wonfor wrote:
They are now banned in finished product in the EU. Sniffing a burning LDR give you enough Cadmium fumes to kill you.

"Evidence in Humans. A variety of adverse health effects may result from acute exposure to cadmium compounds. The most widely recognized effects are seen in the respiratory system from the inhalation of cadmium fumes and dust. Acute pneumonitis occurs 10 to 24 hours after initial acute inhalation of cadmium fumes with symptoms such as fever and chest pain. Pulmonary edema may develop and cause death several days after exposure."

It also causes long term kidney failure and lung cancer. Yet people are still trying use them - bonkers :naughty:
Bonkers is right and yet they still use them. Nasty stuff, more people in hi-fi should be aware of the dangers yet I see new kit with LDR in everyday all using Cadmium.
And when you question them they all say it's rubbish or ours are sealed, yep until they go bang. A few companies like Langley Audio still use them in their pro-kit, by why risk it when Selenium is good and safer.
Would you or I use Asbestos or Mercury or Uranium or even Cyanide no because we want our customers to live a long life, and buy more kit, so why do they insist on trying to kill them.
Bloody Wallies all of them. :angry-fire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_poisoning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenium_meter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistive_opto-isolator

http://www.resistorguide.com/photoresistor/

Above is a few interesting articles.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yet AoS and other forums are allowing kits for these things to be promoted and sold through their forums. It doesn't take much intelligence to work out what is going on. Note they are only being sold as kits, why because it is legal to sell LDRs as components in the EU because the component trade is international and not all markets have banned Cadmium, but the EU has, so the only rule they can enforce is finished goods. So these dangerous crooks try to get away with it by selling kits and shift the responsibility on to the kit builder, that is all that it is about. I have tried my best to tell the truth and warn people to have the loudmouthed know nothing idiots who run and populate forums shout me down.

This is not like smoking maybe killing you in 20 or 30 years, you inhale the fumes from a broken or burning LDR and you are in trouble - full stop. It is not like lead, that just makes you thick, perhaps that is the problem, they have all been sucking a bit of lead.