Semi-Detached, Detached Or Terraced?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Semi-Detached, Detached Or Terraced?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Then you have brick, stud on the inside of brick is fine. Lots of new house (most) are timber framed and they are stud on the outside / inside / everywhere, not a brick in the place apart from sometimes a few courses sitting on the concrete foundations. Most American houses are built this way but they only expect them to last 20 to 30 years, where as we think we are buying a good house that will last 100 years, no way!!

The only people who build good timber houses are in Sweden and Norway. Per usual in the UK we build cheap crap and charge a fortune for it - classic British rip-off.

moo-fi
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by moo-fi »

You can blame building regs for the influx of timber frame houses, the insulation values demanded make timber frames really the only choice for sane money. Though of course there are good timber frame constructions as well as bad, I know of a lot of 1920's stuff which is appalling in construction which were often rendered to hide the shocking brickwork (The first world war did not help). I live in a 1820's place and while the rooms are huge and the walls 2ft thick it sounds awful, lots of flutter echo and it is really a mess when analysed. On the up side it won't fall down in a hurry (It was used as a bomb shelter in the second world war), but the heating bills are huge as granite is a poor insulator and due to it being listed therefore we cannot do much with it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

During the 50's we built steel framed (prefab sections) housing, mostly council. I think these are far better yet some lenders wont give a mortgage on them.

moo-fi

Unread post by moo-fi »

Agreed concrete can be brilliant when used in the right way's but unfortunately are mortgage lenders don't like the stuff, the insulation value of the 50's stuff is pretty rotten and it has a nasty habit of blowing if water gets in which is difficult to fix without replacement which is why lenders hate the stuff. They haven't yet thought that timber frame stuff will be much worse in a few years time, but it will be cheaper to fix I suppose. I'd hate to be the one doing the building survey's a few years time trying to spot internal rot, woodworm, dry rot and all the other nasty's that will be lurking inside these composite panels.

Even bigger problems for hi-fi is the room size in current housing, it won't matter if it is detached semi or terraced, trying to get a hi-fi sounding good in a 10ft box which is also used for everything else is going to be very challenging, this perhaps may be already seen with the rise in serious headphone use. Thanks I keep with large cold rooms, now I just need some bigger speakers.

topalwaysdown

Unread post by topalwaysdown »

wallace wrote:Our last house was an ex Decca/Racal marine transmitter station in Scotland.Lovely view of the Forth Bridge from the patio.Nearest folk two miles in every direction.No complaints from anyone. :lol: The only fault was that the nearest pub was seven miles in each direction,the consolation was that you could drive home in the middle of the road without hitting anything. :mrgreen:
Was that at the top of Castleland hill? overlooking the tank farm/dockyard.

B o T.detached house with enough space between houses to let the neighbours live in peace although I have walked around the house with the sound levels up high and don't hear much outside anyway.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

topalwaysdown wrote:Was that at the top of Castleland hill? overlooking the tank farm/dockyard.
No,it was above north third reservoir seven miles from Stirling,with a view all the way down the forth valley.Wish i was still there.. :whistle:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1