Semi-Detached, Detached Or Terraced?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
southall-1998
Wales

Semi-Detached, Detached Or Terraced?

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Our last house was a terraced. We now live in a Detached house. Lucky for us because of the hi-fi :mrgreen:

What about you lot?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Semi-Detached, Detached Or Terraced?

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Semi for us. Since our side was built eighteen months after the first 'half' (as a coach-house/stabling), the dividing wall is thick and we hardly hear our lovely neighbour at all (and hope she doesn't hear us - she says not...).

Our last house (not a home for us sadly) was an 'executive style' four bed detached. Solid downstairs, but stud walls upstairs. Ghastly place, ghastly neighbours and we couldn't wait to get away - took five years and nearly wrecked my marriage and life :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Don't buy new house whatever they are, detached or not. They are build disgustingly badly now. Good house were built in the 1920s and 1930s and *some* 1950's, they will still be good houses when the stuff they are building now has fallen down. Stud wall crap :x

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Ours was first built in 1897 and converted/part demolished for domestic dwelling just after WW2. Hugely characterful and a lovely place to 'live in,' it's still a money pit on occasion...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wallace
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

Our last house was an ex Decca/Racal marine transmitter station in Scotland.Lovely view of the Forth Bridge from the patio.Nearest folk two miles in every direction.No complaints from anyone. :lol: The only fault was that the nearest pub was seven miles in each direction,the consolation was that you could drive home in the middle of the road without hitting anything. :mrgreen:
We now live in a semi in somerset,but as we are retired ,i just have to wait until next door goes to work (six o'clock)before i give the AP70 some welly... :dance:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Semi, but only just, and then it's to a doctor's surgery. Not had any complaints about music being played load. However, it's a money pit.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Detached.

Our nearest neighbours are 30+ yards away so hifi volume setting isn't an issue, and having a separate music room which contains the piano (and is where I teach) means I can make a racket at any time of day without disturbing anyone. As our house was an individual build (by a local builder) it's been put up properly, even though it's 'new' in style (it's 8 years old).

Of course we could've splashed some cash on a flash motah but I'd rather have a nice place to live and a f*ck off big piano. 8-)

Oh, and there's a great pub about 200 yds away (free house, several superbly-kept real ales on tap).
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

1970's box semi. It was simply a case of having the right number of rooms, (4 beds), for the right money at the time. It is in a nice spot and extremely cheap/easy to live with but not where we ultimately want to be. Once we get rid of at least a couple of the blood suckers we intend to move a bit further out of town into a smaller, but detached house, preferably with a bit of character if we can afford it.
Doc, there's actually nothing wrong with stud walls if they are done to the right standard. I replaced all my crappy block walls upstairs with stud but they are done properly, (75x50 timber @ 400mm centres, double row nogged with two staggered layers of 12.5mm plasterboard on both sides, stuffed full with insulation and skimmed), you would hardly know they were stud walls. :)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

zebbo wrote:1970's box semi. It was simply a case of having the right number of rooms, (4 beds), for the right money at the time. It is in a nice spot and extremely cheap/easy to live with but not where we ultimately want to be. Once we get rid of at least a couple of the blood suckers we intend to move a bit further out of town into a smaller, but detached house, preferably with a bit of character if we can afford it.
Doc, there's actually nothing wrong with stud walls if they are done to the right standard. I replaced all my crappy block walls upstairs with stud but they are done properly, (75x50 timber @ 400mm centres, double row nogged with two staggered layers of 12.5mm plasterboard on both sides, stuffed full with insulation and skimmed), you would hardly know they were stud walls. :)
You prefer that to brick :shock:

I am talking outside walls / construction.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Our house has stud lining to its outside walls. From the outside world you'll get brick (outside), partition (with insulation), air-brick, then plastered stud inner 'skin' nailed to batons. Was chatting to a builder friend of ours when he was putting up our music room/extension why it was done this way and he stated that it's actually the best way now, especially for noise & warmth insulation. You also still have a load-bearing structure as coach bolts can be driven into the air-brick.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6