Internet access problems

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Internet access problems

Unread post by Andrew »

I'm having a lot of trouble accessing wifi today. It started with one iPad but is affecting both now. At first I just thought mine was broken, but it's now hit Mary's too.

It clearly shows the network we are linked too and signal strength is fine. The issues come with all the DHCP settings suddenly being completely wrong. Instead of starting with 192 they get changed to numbers starting with 169

I read some troubleshooting stuff that said to move from DHCP to Static and enter the correct details there. This I've done by copying one iPads details to the other and keeping a paper copy. The thing is, they intermittently revert and kick me or Mary off.

Now I've no bloody clue what DHCP or Static actually are, or what the numbers mean. I've also no idea how long it will be before I'm booted again so may not see any replies for a bit. I appreciate any help anyone can offer and I'd better end it there in case the axe falls again!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Internet access problems

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Computers are bastards interfered with by bigger bastards.

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

if it's starting 169 it's self assigned and will not work. It has not logged on properly or the router may need restarting IP address should always start 192.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers for that. I can manually change the numbers to he 192 config. The great news is that it's an issue from the router (not the iPads), as I'd don't own that. It's the wifi from the family who own the apartments. Mind you, that means its up to them to sort it out so I might be struggling with access for a wee while yet :lol:

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

If you put in fixed IP addresses in the correct range that should fix it
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Just woke up do not had it on for more than a couple of minutes, but it seems to be working ok. It's keeping the "static settings in place that is the problem. They keep disappearing. The router seemed to be freezing and resetting a lot last night, so I'm hoping it's better today.

Thanks again for the advice. :D