Introduce Yourselves

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The picture being taken in Tottenham is a big clue. Went on to Heriot Watt Uni to study mining engineering.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

During the 1966 world cup we hitched up to the Lake District to sing around the youth hostels. Watched the final from outside a TV shop in Carlisle. The other two from the folk group didn't appear so we were about to hitch back when we met two pretty student nurses from Stafford. Shared sleeping bags on a hillside with a camp fire above Grassmere after winning a bottle of rum in a local conservative party tombola, his was the blond mine was the brunette. Ah! fond memories :dance: :mrgreen:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well we are not getting many lookers to try and guess, but another clue. He has an art centre named after him.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Bernie Grant?
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yoo-hoo! you get the coconut Bernard Alexander Montgomery Grant - known to his mates as Monty.

http://www.berniegrantarchive.org.uk/gallery/1960.asp is where the pic came from.

http://www.berniegrantcentre.co.uk/ this is the art centre, which is next to Tottenham Tech (as was), where in the caf you can get a very passable curried goat for lunch.

I lost contact after Heriot Watt, but saw him on the telly after the mid '80s Tottenham riots and we met up a couple of times, but I was living in Peterborough. After that and he became an MP, well you don't push things.

The funny thing was I was never racist like most people were back then, I am a culturist. A couple of cultures we have imposed on us I hate, especially one of them (no names no pack drill) but West Indian culture I loved, so unstuffy and fun for a lad brought up in middle class suburbia. It was so funny when Monty came to Sunday lunch for a roast at my parents house (suburban semi in Cockfosters) and watching them struggle to treat him normally, different generations.

Later he became a bit of a black racist, but I always hoped our friendship modified that a little in his mind and I think it did. Though his partner for his last years Sharon was white. She was / is so lefty I don't think she had a right hand, leader of Harringay Council womens committee :mrgreen:

Not once in the time I knew him did we ever talk about politics.

AJSki2fly
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by AJSki2fly »

Hi

I am Adrian, live in Devon, have NVA gear, lots of CD's, and into Morgan cars,

:?

Meridian 508 CD
NVA p50
NVA a60
Dali Ikon 6 mk2's
Cheer Adrian 8-)

Project Xperience 2 Pack with Ortofon Rondo Blue Cartridge
Cambridge Azur 640P Phono Stage
Meridian 508 CD
Meridian 562 Multimedia Controller
Meridian 565 Digital Sound Processor
Meridian 557 200w/channel Power Amp for Stereo and Fronts

Dali Ikon 6 mk2 (Stereo fronts)
Centre - Meridian - Active Speaker
Rear & Centres - Mission Flat speakers driven by 50w/channel amp
Mission - Active Sub-Woofer

A sweet sounding set up.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

AJSki2fly wrote:Hi

I am Adrian, live in Devon, have NVA gear, lots of CD's, and into Morgan cars,

:?

Meridian 508 CD
NVA p50
NVA a60
Dali Ikon 6 mk2's
Very odd and interesting dog you have there. Very human looking :shock:
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Even Prince Charles doesn't have ears that big :angelic-grayflying:

jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jandl100 »

I'm Jerry. :) ... you know, that really is a wimpy-looking smiley, isn't it! :roll:

I first got to know Richard - aka Dr BH - when I was slagging off his passive pre-amps on the Wigwam forum, and he came on to have a bash at me. :lol:
Turned out the P90 pre I had owned and had sounded utter shite was probably modded and f*cked up by the previous owner. :doh:
We kind of got to communicating and he very kindly sent me a few NVA amps to try. Started low down in the NVA power amp range and worked upwards. Needless to say the then top o' the range A80 monos sounded best, so I bought a pair. A canny hifi salesman, is Dr BH. :clap: ... and very nice they were,too. I kept them far longer than I usually keep kit - I sold 'em after quite a while to young Gromit.

Anyway, what am I doing here now? - I don't own any NVA gear anymore. :P

I'm a box-swapper. I like to try different things. I've probably had more hifi boxes come and go than you've had hot dinners. :!:
Well, not really - but maybe not far off.

I mainly listen to classical music. 95%+ probably. But I dig other stuff out when folks come to visit.

I have some stupidly expensive speakers. MBLs. I had to think long and hard before buying those as speaker boxswapping had been huge fun. But they are keepers. Happily, they are wonderfully transparent and handily show up the differences in amps, CDPs, DACs, turntables, cartridges, cables etc etc and so have turned out to be a fine thing for a box swapper to own. :dance:
Last edited by jandl100 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

"Turned out the P90 pre I had owned and had sounded utter shite was probably modded and f*cked up by the previous owner."

Same problem as I am now getting with the power amp being screwed up by Alan Brown.