Stenography

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Stenography

Unread post by Fretless »

Practice makes perfect ....
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
Lindsayt (Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:49 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

It was the form thoughts one I particularly found unbelievable

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

I find this whole post unbelievable. There are reasons it's not used anymore.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:23 pm It was the form thoughts one I particularly found unbelievable
It's one of those things that's difficult to measure. Because how do you get inside someone's head and measure how fast they are forming words in their consiousness?

Lindsayt
Nauru

Chunk McDaniel wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:07 pm I find this whole post unbelievable. There are reasons it's not used anymore.
Do you not believe that I've bought a Georgi keyboard? I'll supply photos in due course.

Do you not believe that I've always found interacting with computers a frustrating experience?

Do you not believe that with sufficient practise I'll be able to enter English into my computers faster with stenography than with Qwerty or Maltron typing?

I think it's all highly believable.
Typing words into a computer one letter at a time is shit. Just count how many individual buttons I've had to press, one at a time in the right order to create this forum post.
It's highly believable that stenography is quicker as you have fewer strokes to create the same thing. As well as the keyboard being more ergonomic.

My philosophy is that computers should be a slave to me - as much as possible. And that I shouldn't be a slave to any computer.

The main reason Stenograhy is not used in courts any more in the UK is because Court Reporters don't come cheap. It's a skilled profession that traditionally had high financial and time hurdles to get into and therefore paid rather higher than the Minimum Wage. Replacing Court Reporters with digital recording equipment was a cost saving in the long term.

Court Reporters are still used, AFAIK, in the USA.

There's still a market for stenographers to create subtitles for the hard of hearing for live unscripted feeds.

And from my point of view, there's going to be a desire on my part to enter an awful lot of English into computers over the next few years.

Would getting to a certain skill level in Stenography be useful to me?
Yes it would. Without doubt. Because of the amount of time I spend per year typing stuff into computers.

For people that hardly ever write anything into a computer, it wouldn't be worth them investing the time to get a basic mastery of stenography.

I'm kind of hoping that Stenography works out for me and that my children see me using it and then get into it themselves. So that they will be the weird students at their uni with the weird keyboards and the incredibly fast assignment "typing" skills.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Lindsayt wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:06 pm
Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:23 pm It was the form thoughts one I particularly found unbelievable
It's one of those things that's difficult to measure. Because how do you get inside someone's head and measure how fast they are forming words in their consiousness?
Intuitively it is nonsense.

Lindsayt
Nauru

I've been playing a few races on Typeracer.
https://play.typeracer.com/

I've been getting about 18 words per minute when cold and about 20 words per minute (fastest was 25 wpm) when warmed up on my Maltron keyboard.
Tried it on a Qwerty keyboard and was getting about 20ish words per minute on that too.

I didn't realise how slow my typing was. I'm a quite embarrasssingly slow typist.

This sets the bar low in terms of what I'll be happy with when my Steno keyboard finally arrives.
If I can get to 30 words per minute on the Steno, that will become my prefered method of getting words into my computers...

Lindsayt
Nauru

This is the first post I have written using a steno machine.
I am still very much at the beginning stage.
So far I have bought a machine from eBay, shown in the image above, and spent several hours training on typey type, spread over 2 weeks.
https://didoesdigital.com/typey-type/lessons

My speed is still very slow and it will take a lot more training for me to overtake my QWERTY speeds. So far I have mainly been learning which finger presses which keys. So that now I tend to form the strokes in my head and then move my fingers to press the keys that I need to form the word. With time this should become automatic from muscle memory.

When I am working on the machine, it feels like I am working with a precision device where a small change in my finger position causes a big change in the word that comes out, making old key boards seem big crude and clunky. The little finger of the right hand is kept busy. So it helps that the force required on a steno machine is lower than on a traedition'll keyboard.

Would I recommend sten o to any one else? For a teenage person that will have a career with a lot of typing, yes. For everyone else its a big fat maybe, or a no.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 2):
slinger (Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:28 pm) • Daniel Quinn (Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:03 pm)