miniBMU

As an alternative to ebay place orders here and pay either by paypal or bank transfer or cheque. When shipped and received the thread will be closed.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: miniBMU

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:51 pm

Depends on your mains. If your mains is bad (like brown water coming out the tap) then the primary coil in the transformer will react, but the noise is a magnitude less than with the full BMU. Only cures I know of are a DC blocker (we found a cheapish one on-line) or make your own electricity, and the generating and supply companies couldn't give a toss, and I have done some serious complaining. For most people it is quiet though.

wackyraces
Great Britain

Unread post by wackyraces » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks - I guess that’s what the home trial is there for.
System: AURALiC Mini - Croft 25/7 - Role Audio Enterprise

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Well not really as even if there is a little noise from the primary winding you will find it varies at different times and if like me most of the time is silent. I have had none returned apart from one to trade up to full BMU.

Cost effective because of shipping costs which will be down to you for loans is buy it and send it back if unhappy for full refund. I can virtually guarantee having used it you will eventually trade it up to the bigger one.

wackyraces
Great Britain

Unread post by wackyraces » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 pm

I don’t like to buy things like this without understanding how they work... so how does a BMU clean the mains - and why does the bigger transformer in the more expensive BMU clean it up further?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:30 pm

Sorry there are no water tight answers with specs to back it up like so many things in Hi-Fi.

1/ size - people think size relates to power required and add up all their items VA spec and say I want that. Well it is BS, if you did that and used it you would knock you house down of blow up the hi-fi as music is not a single constant wave form, so the mini BMU will drive just about any system for power. The big BMU will just allow more headroom. I have quoted so many time how these work in reducing noise just use your fingers and read the posts in the archive, that is why we have an archive.

2/ music - for some reason not only do they reduce noise but they make your system access more musical content / information, and no one knows how or why. This is where size matters the bigger the VA the more that is met on an ever reducing scale. I did lots of experiment in early BMU work with different sizes, and it is a trade off situation. The bigger you go the more music on a reducing scale of benefit v acoustic noise and distortion induced by the increased size of the transformer windings. So a decision had to be made and the sweet spot is 1000va, best music without too many transformer problems and safety risks of large VA and the serious costs in containing them in a case. So the 300va miniBMU is a taster of what the big one does, but fully justifies itself in benefit.

wackyraces
Great Britain

Unread post by wackyraces » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Is there a water tight answer as to why metal cases and their magnetic fields interact with the music signal hence why you avoid then in your amp cases?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:55 pm

There are no water tight answers to anything, there is just music and your ears.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:22 am

This has become a discussion thread, it is an orders thread please only post here if you wish to place an order. For discussion start a thread in NVA discussions.