Cubettes

As an alternative to ebay place orders here and pay either by paypal or bank transfer or cheque. When shipped and received the thread will be closed.
Ukulele Sam
Great Britain

Re: Cubettes

Unread post by Ukulele Sam » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:33 am

I did not try the acrylic Cubettes, had the wooden ones which were good enough on their own but can confirm the Cube 3's were a serious step up for me - I was shocked by the increased depth, weight and musical enjoyment they brought. They are obviously very different by design to 'normal' boxes but fundamentally better in my opinion at this price level. The thing that gets me is they reflect changes to systems, cables, mini BMU and just keep getting better. Not sure what the ceiling is for them but I have not reached it yet, get everything else right and dial them in and they fly, would encourage anyone to give them a try. I know I will be tempted by the Cube 2's!

Ukulele Sam
Great Britain

Unread post by Ukulele Sam » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:48 am

Should just say that they also work well outside of NVA systems. As well as my A60 I have tried them with a Quad Elite QSP power amp (Quad 'current dumper') using NVA cabling still and that was a seriously good combination - all IMHO of course!!

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:58 am

Ukulele Sam wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:48 am
Should just say that they also work well outside of NVA systems. As well as my A60 I have tried them with a Quad Elite QSP power amp (Quad 'current dumper') using NVA cabling still and that was a seriously good combination - all IMHO of course!!
I am finding using NVA cabling is probably the most important factor in getting the best out of these speakers.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Classicrock wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:58 am
Ukulele Sam wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:48 am
I am finding using NVA cabling is probably the most important factor in getting the best out of these speakers.
It was the same with me. TSCS was a major upgrade from LS6 with TIS already in place between DAC and pre amp and pre amp and mono blocks. This was with Cube 3s. Cubes respond in a big way to all improvements in the system. My Cube 1s are not much more than half the price of the Spendor floor standers I auditoned the Chord Mscaler with. The improvement with the Spendors was marginal. With the Cubes and my NVA system it was very significant.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Mscaler/Qutest, Geitnote Apogee, NVA BMU, P90SA, A80sMk2, Phono 1, SSP Mk 2, TSCS, TIS mk2, Cube 1s, Atacama stands, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, Grado SR 325e, headphones.

Second system
Chord Mojo (also HP amp), NVA P20, A20, Cubettes, SSC, LS3.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

montechristo358
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:58 pm

Hope so have some ls5 waiting to replace my cheapy maplins stuff

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm

Reviews still owed please.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Arrived yesterday and just connected them. Initial impression very favourable. Will allow time to run in before reviewing.
And northwest of Pegasus

Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Mscaler/Qutest, Geitnote Apogee, NVA BMU, P90SA, A80sMk2, Phono 1, SSP Mk 2, TSCS, TIS mk2, Cube 1s, Atacama stands, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, Grado SR 325e, headphones.

Second system

Out and about

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:38 pm

CN, this is purely an observation and an innocent question, but was it the Spendors *really* that sounded shit to you, or just your views now on conventional speakers in general, now you have had Cube types for a fair while? Modern Spendors don't sound like many of their now geriatric 'Classic' range used to, so shouldn't be typecast as a bygone from an early 70's 'BBC Inspired' era. Thank gawd you didn't listen to SP2's of any era for example ;)

Having asked the above and off topic with apologies, it's interesting reading comments about Top End dealers in Europe and the USA on, believe it or not, the Harbeth User Group. The apparent total blinkered ignorance, blind faith and lack of any real product knowledge is alarming to say the least. There's always the chance that this dealer did a shit job in setting up the system for you to hear (and Rega amps aren't *that* bad I swear ;)! Would be quite easy to do the same with any of the Cubes if the basic understanding and set-up procedure wasn't followed through I think.

Back on topic. The Cubettes can be an answer to a prayer in many smaller listening situations and you don't need to thrash 'em to get the clarity either...

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:58 pm

With regard to the Spenders I think it was a combination of the superiority of semi omnidirectional designs, to my ears, the room (a lack of soft furnishing) and the speakers not being very good. I had to turn on a warm filter on the Qutest to reduce a harshness. The bass did not extend anywhere near as far as my Cube 1s. I could not believe they cost 3K. I think the £500 Dynaudio stand mounts I used to own sounded better and I demoed them in the same room some time back. I do not think the Rega amp or the Leema streamer were to blame in any way.
And northwest of Pegasus

Second system

Out and about

setting son
Great Britain

Unread post by setting son » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:20 pm

My curettes have arrived, Doc, thank you. Haven't been in the office for a few days to pick them up but they are in my car now and I'll unbox them and have a listen tonight (with a few glasses of red, no doubt).