Cubettes

As an alternative to ebay place orders here and pay either by paypal or bank transfer or cheque. When shipped and received the thread will be closed.
CN211276
Wales

Re: Cubettes

Unread post by CN211276 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Cubes, both 1 and 3, piss all over the Spendor floor standers I heard last week. The cost of the Spendors is in fact 3K and not 4K as I was advised. The difference is night and day, including bass extension with the 3s as well as the 1s. The Cubes reproduce, in a big way, improvements in source components. The Spendors seemed to strangle the life out of the Mscaler. It is really singing in my system.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Mscaler/Qutest, Geitnote Apogee, NVA BMU, P90SA, A80sMk2, Phono 1, SSP Mk 2, TSCS, TIS mk2, Cube 1s, Atacama stands, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, Grado SR 325e, headphones.

Second system
Chord Mojo (also HP amp), NVA P20, A20, Cubettes, SSC, LS3.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Grounding boxes represent a classic example of throwing stooopid money at a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. I am beginning to get a handle on what I think is being achieved. Well I assess that my ClassII construction and material and earthing makes it impossible for it to improve a NVA system. Though if someone wants to try one and tell me different I am open minded, but not at those prices. It strikes me a lot of people have sussed out how cheaply these things can be made if you want to explore, but giving loadsamoney to frauds and crooks and bullshitters is never a good idea.

montechristo358
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:21 pm

interesting comment about the cubes now being thinner acrylic and ceramic lines.

does that mean they are identical to cubettes other than sizes or is the acrylic still thicker than the cubettes?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Acrylic, the same thickness, different more substantial internal lining, and also doping. I now dope the inside of the cabinet as well as the drivers. As a single material acrylic is by far the best material for speaker cabs, but as with everything it has a character but very minor and it is very expensive.

If you will excuse me I will not give details as I do not wish to give others a leg up in cabinet design. BUT the process started with me trying to get a reasonable priced cab to replace the original wooden steel lined cab of the original Cubette that proved impossible to make consistently. I could not do a thick acrylic cab for the Cubette because of price, so experiments with thinner folded glued construction instead of plate, honked quite badly, then experimented with lining, tried many things like tar, glues, cement, steel plate, and ceramic tiles. A combination of material in the end gave a characterless and extremely open and musical cab, it has turned out even more so than the acrylic plate, so that has led to me re-doing the cabs for all the cubes. BUT they are all different mix of rigidity / damping as they increase in size all done by ear and feel.

It started with me being extremely pleased with my new Cubettes, so next did the Cube3 not expecting big step up from the Cubette but when I got the lining right it IS a large step up. The next one I am working on now is the Cube2 and I now have the formula and know what I have to do with the lining for each increase in driver and cabinet size. New Cube2 will be next month then Cube1 then Cubix. In the mean time for fun for me I am doing a prototype set of 12 incher BB Cubes (big bastard cubes) hopefully in time for the Wam Show.

montechristo358
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:31 pm

thanks Doc, I'm surprised you tell us as much as you do tbh.

BB Cubes, I assume will need a mid as well as the 12"?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:34 pm

Yes, side mounted.

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:21 pm
Acrylic, As a single material acrylic is by far the best material for speaker cabs, but as with everything it has a character but very minor and it is very expensive.

Is it the actual material or the cutting/ machining that is the big expense- actual 20mm plates are very expensive on eBay- a single side panel corresponding to cube 1 / 2 side is £40 on its own😳 This makes your speakers even greater value imo
RIP Doc
Analogue Source-ARB Turntable & 10” dual pivot arm, Grado Reference Prestige 1 MI, Nva Phono 1
Digital Sources- Denon CEOL Piccolo, iPhone 6s
Amplification-NVA P50 A20 A60
Speakers- Diy BBCubes; Ls1, Ls5; SSC
Mini BMU

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:16 am

Bargain of the century yet no takers recently, I am really surprised. you are losing an opportunity to find something different in this industry that is genuinely progressing music at a silly bargain price, or is it because they are cheap, perhaps you want to buy ludicrously priced cat litter boxes.

These really do present the music with more reality, you need to find out if I am right. I really will not mind if you disagree all so far agree, two have traded up immediately to Cube3, only one has come back as they need a wall to work off, he had furniture in the way so bass light. Remember these are designed to work with the room not fight it.

Raul_77

Unread post by Raul_77 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:26 am

The description of the construction of your loudspeakers is quite extraordinary: metal plates and tiles. Would it be possible for you to publish a photo of the interior? I'm very curious. I would also like to see the interior of the AP70.

About electronics. Before the electrolytics of the power supply are of average quality and currently uses Samwha 'for Audio', however the small electrolytics in the PCB's still look of average quality. Would it be possible to order also electrolytics 'for Audio' when buying an amplifier? In old photos I have seen that the two feedback resistors in the PCB's were Holco. Would it be possible to get these resistors when ordering? And in the past the volume potentiometers were Sfernice P11, now they are Omega. Is it possible to order a higher quality potentiometer instead? For example, an ALPS RK27. Naturally paying all extra costs.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:23 am

We build what we build and we use what we use because that is our design, if you wish to design and manufacture amplifiers then go ahead but you do not work for us. And no, pictures are not available.

This is what really get me angry about this hobby, the bloody cheek of it, everyone thinks they are an expert because they have read a magazine or some eeediot expert has said something. As far as NVA is concerned WE are the experts. Why do you think you can make it better.

This post has seriously made me cross, it examples what is wrong with this hobby.