Phono 2 for sale

Private sales of kit go here.
Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Re: Phono 2 for sale

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:51 pm

zebbo wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:13 pm
I honestly cannot believe that this is still here! Over the years I have been through a vast array of phono stages, many of them the so-called "must haves" from EAR, Whest, Slee, Anatek, Puresound, Croft, etc, etc and the NVA knocks all of them into a cocked hat IMHO. I don't know what Andy has found that improves on it for him but this is a SERIOUS BARGAIN.
The problem seems to be that nearly everyone here already owns one.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:30 pm

Very true. But..

Reading Andy's list of equipment in his signature shows that he really likes valve equipment and he now appears to have a prototype LDA (Nick Goreham ?) stage.

All I can say is it must be very good in order to let the Phono 2 go.!

Alfi.
Heavily modified suspended sub-chassis turntable, Sole VIII sub-chassis, "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone. Technics SL110A, AT 1005, Soundsmith Denon DL103. NVA BMU, NVA Phono 2 MC (2 power supplies), NVA P50 SA, NVA A40 Mk1 power amps, custom birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA TIS mk2 , SSC, LS6.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Hannes-Gregor wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:51 pm
zebbo wrote:
I honestly cannot believe that this is still here! Over the years I have been through a vast array of phono stages, many of them the so-called "must haves" from EAR, Whest, Slee, Anatek, Puresound, Croft, etc, etc and the NVA knocks all of them into a cocked hat IMHO. I don't know what Andy has found that improves on it for him but this is a SERIOUS BARGAIN.
The problem seems to be that nearly everyone here already owns one.
Aye, quite possibly. :grin:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with constrained layer plinth / SME V / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 3 + 2X BBPSU - MEGA!, NVA TAS, NVA Cubix-Pro, (top & mid sections). (Oh and Richard's Sony CDP-X779ES, (if I can fix it), for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:45 pm

May be it being MM is an issue. Most people will be using MC at this price level. My MC version sounds fantastic but if anything will beat it might be Nick's new mid price valve stage.
I'm backing Boris !

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:03 pm

The only one Ive heard that for me beat it was a Cole lcr phono stage.
I use mm carts and if I could justify it I would buy it. But saving for a new car has to take precedence for me.
I haven't heard nicks newest though
BTE designs type 2 lenco, Audio Technica AT1100 dynavector dv20a2 (his), JVC QL-Y5F HANA sl (hers)
Benedict audio hothead mm phono stage with borrowed LDA ha1 mc stepup
BTE designs type 1 custom Khozmo shunt build passive pre
PASS F5 dual mono Power amp
modified Philips cd371
Squeezebox classic
fane 15" sb speakers
BTE designs balanced power supply

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:58 am

The NVA phono 2 was always going to be an experiment for me, I bought one after hearing Savvy's in his system. Its an extremely good phono stage if a little fussy about placement, and it worked fine with a Step Up Transformer and my At 33 Cartridge on the 401 despite Docs reluctance to recommend that solution, but also worked superbly with my Ortofon 2M Black and 540mk ii on my 301.

We solved the placement issue by building some additional 2m long umbilicals, which when used with the original 2m lengths gives a very flexible - up to 4m length available between head unit and power supplies.

Anyway as identified above valves really are my bag and the NVA has been usurped by Nicks prototype of the MC3J which to be fair takes phono reply to another level (God only knows what the MCJ2 must sound like)

The upshot of all this is my Phono 2 and pair of power supplies is for sale, I am in no rush to sell it so I will just occasionally give it a quick bump to keep it in eyeline. Someone must eventually want one, remembering that these with a pair of PSU's are currently running at nearly eight hundred quid.
Analogue
301 / 3012 / Shure M75 + Jico SAS
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
Vortexbox, SBT / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage, Quad 44
Quad 303, or Bel Canto Set 40, or NG 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:41 am

Bumpity bump
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Digital
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:52 am

zebbo wrote:
Nick's latest which cost c£1500 direct. However no way will you get a phono stage that comes near to this for under £500. I suggest put it on WAM and then Ebay (at a higher price).
I'm backing Boris !

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 am

Cheers Classic I have tried both the Wam and Ebay (twice) with no luck I am afraid.

Strange times we are living in 18 months ago there would have been a queue forming at my door to take this off my hands LOL.

I will happily just keep as my " reserve" stage but the three boxes are a little bulky for that.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Digital
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 am

Anyway as identified above valves really are my bag and the NVA has been usurped by Nicks prototype of the MC3J which to be fair takes phono reply to another level (God only knows what the MCJ2 must sound like)
Just to avoid confusion, the MCj2 is not better than the j3, it was just priced higher as was not being sold direct. I suspect you are talking about the prototype that was on AOS a bit ago, and is in fact the MCj1 (only one or two was made), the power supply was changed and went to PCB and became the MCj2. I should get the j2 taken off the web site as its confused a few thinking it must be better as its more expensive.

The J3 is the same sort of thing as the j2 but has a better (IMHO) power supply again (two shunt regs instead of one series, the J1 was also simpler shunt regs) and a different jfet in the front and a few other minor changes after the Ref Phono design (where the shunts come from).