What is a hi-fi forum shill.

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Re: What is a hi-fi forum shill.

Unread post by Lindsayt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:20 pm

ArseHats wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:27 pm
It’s just good ol’ fashioned conspicuous consumption isn’t it?
It’s not for everyone of course, but some people buy these goods precisely *because* they are expensive / excessively-priced / a rip-off, not despite of the fact, nor because such consumers are uninformed or lazy. For such buyers, one of the (subconscious) functions of a particular purchase is to display one’s spending power.
If the purchase also tells the time or helps play music, then that’s a separate (but not necessarily contrary) function.
Am I such a buyer? Hardly ever. But live and let live guys.
Veblen goods.

All that swank makes no sense to me. No one likes a show-off. But if that's what people want to do with their money fine.

Amongst Veblen goods there is a lot of shilling - or as they call it, celebrity endorsement.

ArseHats

Unread post by ArseHats » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Lindsayt wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:20 pm
ArseHats wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:27 pm
It’s just good ol’ fashioned conspicuous consumption isn’t it?
It’s not for everyone of course, but some people buy these goods precisely *because* they are expensive / excessively-priced / a rip-off, not despite of the fact, nor because such consumers are uninformed or lazy. For such buyers, one of the (subconscious) functions of a particular purchase is to display one’s spending power.
If the purchase also tells the time or helps play music, then that’s a separate (but not necessarily contrary) function.
Am I such a buyer? Hardly ever. But live and let live guys.
Veblen goods.

All that swank makes no sense to me. No one likes a show-off. But if that's what people want to do with their money fine.

Amongst Veblen goods there is a lot of shilling - or as they call it, celebrity endorsement.
Veblen goods. Yes. Good point.
There’s a good book, “Must Have” by Geoffrey Miller that explores how in the modern world our biological instincts for status and social display leave us (some more than others) vulnerable to vastly overestimating the impact of our possessing of luxury consumer goods on how other people assess us.
"One whos head is so far up ones own arse that they are wearing ones arse as a hat"

joe
Great Britain

Unread post by joe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:56 pm

I just can't take it too seriously, to be honest. Compared to the sort of shit that's going down around the world, shilling of hifi (or other luxury goods) is about 1,200th on the list of Things We Should Be Concerned About.

setting son
Great Britain

Unread post by setting son » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:07 am

A man should never wear jewellery.

As you were....

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Have you all noticed since we drew attention to it the shilling has died away again, I wonder why :roll: :whistle:

Job done.