WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Latteman
Great Britain

Re: WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)

Unread post by Latteman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:57 pm

I think modern speakers are pretty, really attractive and am drawn to them like a moth to light- for years I’ve flitted between my Royd Minstrels and Impulse H7s both last century designs- bland in comparison so decided to ‘modernise’ the aesthetics of the listening room- it has a huge LCD Tv so shinny attractive speakers were needed. Ebay time.
I swapped the impulses for linn Helix (from a guy in Grimsby who mentioned NVA) - the linns were- really ugly but the wife liked them- go figure that!
I set about auditioning; Kefs, Dali, monitor audio, Atc and ridiculous expensive Opera speakers- they had a leather front to the baffle and deep luxurious wood veneer sides- omg I was 😍 I pushed the shrill treble to one side- I had to have them, you will like them I said the her, they are gorgeous.
NO SHE SAID- thank god ££££££!
I then found hifisubjectivist and the rest is history, I’ve never had such good enjoyable music and I even went on to built my own cubes, they are not the best finish but tick all boxes so a “real set” will be a priority next year
And the real ones they look fantastic- double bonus👍🏼
Analogue Source-ARB Turntable & 10” dual pivot arm, Dynavector 10x5, Nva Phono 1 / Schiit Mani
Digital Sources- Sony CDP770 & Apple Box3 to Beresford TC7510, iPhone 4s to music only WiFi
Amplification-NVA P50 & 2x A20
Speakers-Diy Cubes; Mid/bass- LS5; Tweeter- Ls1
SSC throughout

Chopsaw54
Great Britain

Unread post by Chopsaw54 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 pm

I don't know whether my wife likes our IMFs or not as I've never asked her.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:07 am

WAF has little to do with if your wife likes them or not, it is a marketing term bandied around in the trade for trying to make speakers less obtrusive / intrusive by using multiple small drivers normally 6.5 inches on a thin but tall speaker baffle.

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:24 am

There's a little bit on where the term "WAF"comes from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor

One thing about WAF - as someone has already mentioned in this / the WAM thread - is that what A N Other Audiophile may think is the more WAF of 2 hi-fi components may not be actually matched by their particular wives.

For example my wife prefers the looks of our Bozak Symphonies over our Linn Isobariks. Even though the Bozaks are much bigger and look even more old fashioned, they look brighter, and "friendlier".

I prefer the looks of the Bozaks too because they look better engineered. I like the looks of fine engineering or over-engineered products. I prefer to fill my house and life with examples of great engineering instead of something that looks what most people would think of as pretty, but that isn't particularly well engineered. Give me content, not tat!

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:18 am

Modern interior design is not for me. Minimalist everything, hardly any soft furnishings, wood floor. Yuck. And will probably sound like my system in my wheat store.

Give me an old house any day with solid walls, floors and a bit of character. Fill it with your life and a substantial pair of speakers (must be isobaric mind with at least 12 inches of loveliness ).
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:30 am

As has been said, I think these tall thin floor standers have more to do with cost cutting than WAF. A much shorter wider design, on a matching stand, looks better to these eyes as well as sounding better.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

NVA BMU, Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P90SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 1s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS mk2. Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP Mk2, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.