Audio Addicts (ex The Audio Forum)

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Copperblue
Great Britain

Re: Audio Addicts (ex The Audio Forum)

Unread post by Copperblue » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:05 pm

savvypaul wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:45 pm
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:59 pm
Not sure anyone's interested, but I'll see what I can do shortly. My post above was a reply here to a comment Savvy made regarding hearing a 3 and then a 6 and as, to me, the 6 is 'better' in the ways I judge how musical an NVA amp sounds to me over much of the competition.
Yeah, I heard the 3 and the 6 for about 30 minutes each...around 5 years ago. Just a snapshot. Not heard the latest ones...and, like Doc, I'm into the idler drives, now, thanks to Doc posting here and Andy-831 who bought his 401 over to mine for me...and Vinyl-Ant for rebuilding me a Lenco.

A 'history of' thread would still be a good read, for me, too, though...I enjoyed reading your posts about the Dual decks.
Rega decks have always had a very slight pitch wobble to my ears and the early decks tended to be a bit “fast” as well. I’m sure the latest ones are probably better in this regards but I have not heard them at length.

IME not every belt deck is the same. I remember listening to several direct drive decks at various establishments such as Laskys and the like but it wasn’t until I heard a Pink Triangle with an SME V on it did I hear a sound that really opened up and just made me sit back in wonder....
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

TroutFisher
Great Britain

Unread post by TroutFisher » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:16 pm

Hmm, well all you have said is you listened to second rate direct drive decks at a second rate supplier. Lasky’s et al were hardly cutting edge and didn’t stock cutting edge kit. The flawed Pink with an SME may well have floated your boat, but your opinion is an individual one. I think (individually although many others agree) any rubber band driven TT is always going to wobble and slew the sound. The only way to make a belt drive TT to work is to have a ridged unstretchable belt, and for sure they are out there if you look. If it is a diy consideration, others have had success using lengths of joined video cassette tape.

Get a good direct drive and you’ll never look back IMHO. Of course, the arm and cartridge combination will be critical in getting a correct (for your ears) result. I have moved from Garrard/Lenco/Thorens type idler drives to high quality direct drives, albeit Japanese and pretty old. The Doc has gone in the opposite direction and I respect what he has done. My opinion is idler drive over emphasises speed and attack on note but are not so good on decay and also, the ones now available often present (IMHO) a
coloured Sound. Of course that sound might happily suit the listener.

It’s the listeners choice. No-one should ever argue against the listeners satisfaction. However, if you think the listener might have got it wrong, gentle suggestion must be the way forward..........don’t you think?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:49 pm

I am still stuck between the pro's and con''s of good Jap DD v Euro / GB Idlers, it is swings and roundabouts. But I am enjoying idlers ATM.

Copperblue
Great Britain

Unread post by Copperblue » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:28 pm

TroutFisher wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:16 pm
Hmm, well all you have said is you listened to second rate direct drive decks at a second rate supplier. Lasky’s et al were hardly cutting edge and didn’t stock cutting edge kit. The flawed Pink with an SME may well have floated your boat, but your opinion is an individual one. I think (individually although many others agree) any rubber band driven TT is always going to wobble and slew the sound. The only way to make a belt drive TT to work is to have a ridged unstretchable belt, and for sure they are out there if you look. If it is a diy consideration, others have had success using lengths of joined video cassette tape.

Get a good direct drive and you’ll never look back IMHO. Of course, the arm and cartridge combination will be critical in getting a correct (for your ears) result. I have moved from Garrard/Lenco/Thorens type idler drives to high quality direct drives, albeit Japanese and pretty old. The Doc has gone in the opposite direction and I respect what he has done. My opinion is idler drive over emphasises speed and attack on note but are not so good on decay and also, the ones now available often present (IMHO) a
coloured Sound. Of course that sound might happily suit the listener.

It’s the listeners choice. No-one should ever argue against the listeners satisfaction. However, if you think the listener might have got it wrong, gentle suggestion must be the way forward..........don’t you think?
In the real world nearly all engineering is a compromise of some sort and turntables are no exception. Each to their own but IME the compromises made by PTs are pretty smart and result in wonderful sound.
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:40 am

For accuracy the person who first used the phrase "point and squirt" was Richard Dunn. Along with many many other phrases who have been used since and wrongly labelled as to origin, but it is all part of the game don't you know. You will find many of them in my interviews and explanation pages at www.nvahifi.co.uk

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:48 pm

Ignorance and a complete lack of understanding and knowledge. This is what happens when an apprentice pretends to be a master.

bigman80
Administrator

bigman80 Avatar

eBay Bargains
Apr 25, 2019 20:35:13 GMT via mobile
Post by bigman80 on Apr 25, 2019 20:35:13 GMT
karnevil9 Avatar
Apr 25, 2019 14:28:12 GMT karnevil9 said:
Upping the capacitance gives a faster more powerful sound believe it or not. I shall up the two output coupling caps as well...

Yes, I agree with this. I don't know why but i did it to the Phonostage and noticed exactly that. Should have done it to the Krell too Doh!

Kemet, hmmm. I know only a few make caps big enough for the Krell so I'll keep an eye on the Kemet stuff. I'd prefer originals but who wants to spend £140 per cap (needs four) 🙄
****************************************************************************************
Speed is dictated by smaller capacitance, big capacitance gives weight, if you want the best of both worlds you use parallel capacitors and by-passes, this is absolutely basic knowledge, but what do you expect, just don't trust this mans pronouncements. Doesn't mean his cables aren't good, they may be but no one I know who has NVA cables is allowed to compare them, only he and his little gang he has clubbed together at AoS of mutual arse lickers.

Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam!
Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am
Lovely Art of Sound Spam!…

Daniel Quinn
Wales

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:36 pm

Bloody hell, the king is dead, let's talk about nva in a way we wouldn't have dared do hitherto.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm

Daniel Quinn wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:36 pm
Bloody hell, the king is dead, let's talk about nva in a way we wouldn't have dared do hitherto.
Did you see the thread that was deleted?

On the current, more within the rules, subject of cables and interconnectors there seems to be no one with experience of TIS and TISC, something that could be rectified if I was not banned.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Mscaler/Qutest, Geitnote Apogee, NVA BMU, P90SA, A80sMk2, Phono 1, SSP Mk 2, TSCS, TIS mk2, Cube 1s, Atacama stands, Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, Grado SR 325e, headphones.

Second system
Chord Mojo (also HP amp), NVA P20, A20, Cubettes, SSC, LS3.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

Daniel Quinn
Wales

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:46 pm

It's appears aa as tried to outdo aos, with idiotic sociology.

First westie spends five hours dealing with imbeciles. It's a wonder they can tell the difference.

While Macca let's his right wing bigoted opinions free without recourse. Please shut the fuck up Macca. True I could stop reading, but I'd rather such crap is contained within your head.

Ps, savvy please go to the pub every time you get the urge to post

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:45 pm

:guiness;
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

HiFi Foo Fight Blog
NVA BMU / BTE Designs Lenco 59 / ATP-12t / Denon 103 / NVA Phono2 / GSP Revelation / Vortexbox Appliance / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / RME ADI-2 dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / Marantz 2015 / NVA Cube 1 / Klipsch Heresy 3 /NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H / Grado sr225e