people going nuts... levitating turntable

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: people going nuts... levitating turntable

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Lurcher300b wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:02 pm
I remember a few juke-boxes that played the single vertically. And Project have a vertical player on their book.

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/re ... turntable/
I believe it plays on the slant, so not truly vertical and I don't think a huge amount of depth front-back is saved...

Hell, many vintage Duals could be played upside down if the main bearing was inverted and they had a special 1229 customised in an exhibition stand to show just that (deck partly hidden at the top of the viewing aperture and a mirror on the bottom seen by the viewing public, done as a means of showing how well dynamically balanced their tonearms are and were.
...I have renounced the worldly bustle and live in peace at a quiet place,
I live alone in this my heaven, in my love (and) in my songs.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Interesting concept; let us assume that the name Mag-Lev actually means something and equates to a Mag Lev train it would suggest a rotating magnetic field repelling the platter and dragging it around at the same time. The platter could conceivably shield the cartridge from the rotating field but the arm wiring would probably need to be in a balanced configuration to minimise induced currents (noise), not impossible but I don't know of any phono stages with a balanced input.

The video appears to show the platter wobbling slightly and that must detract from sound quality, it probably also means the speed isn't stable.

If the platter can wobble how will it react to acoustic energy, say a deep, loud, bass note?

As with any suspension system it will have a resonant frequency, the levitation field should damp that but how quickly? Is the resonant frequency in the audible range?

As the platter is being dragged around by the rotating magnetic field how will the electronics detect speed changes and how stable will the correction be?

Just a few thoughts, and I could be completely wrong on the method of levitation and drive and this could all be meaningless.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:19 pm

It's just a load of old bollocks designed to make a quick buck on the back of the whole vinyl thing. The biggest problem I can see is the variation in alignment, especially VTA, as the platter moves independently of the arm!! If it was a serious attempt at a "proper" TT they would have levitated the platter just a mm off the plinth, then I think you might have a chance of controlling movement.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with constrained layer plinth / SME V / Benz Gullwing SLR, Phono 3 + 2X BBPSU - MEGA!, NVA P90sa, NVA Cubix-Pro, (top & mid sections). (Oh and a Pioneer BDP LX70A when I just want some background music!)

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:37 pm

zebbo wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:19 pm
It's just a load of old bollocks designed to make a quick buck on the back of the whole vinyl thing. The biggest problem I can see is the variation in alignment, especially VTA, as the platter moves independently of the arm!! If it was a serious attempt at a "proper" TT they would have levitated the platter just a mm off the plinth, then I think you might have a chance of controlling movement.
Magnetic levitation done years ago but with massive stable platter.

Lurcher300b
Great Britain

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Yep, but the platter is held in place by a bearing that’s fixed to the base, which is fixed to the tonearm. The Kenwood l07d had a similar magnetic bearing.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Ah, but they just use magnets to support the weight of the platter, like several others, and they still use a spindle/bearing which makes sense. The Mag-lev thing has the platter floating free, and driven by, a magnetic field. (beaten to it! :lol: )
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with constrained layer plinth / SME V / Benz Gullwing SLR, Phono 3 + 2X BBPSU - MEGA!, NVA P90sa, NVA Cubix-Pro, (top & mid sections). (Oh and a Pioneer BDP LX70A when I just want some background music!)

Chunk McDaniel
Great Britain

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:17 am

I will be amazed if this thing works with any degree of sound quality. Big mains spike and your rare Bob Dylan first pressing is imbeded in the ceiling. :lol:

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:30 am

Propably targeted to people how have the usually everything already and need something new to brag to friends....
Rega\Teac\NVA\SA Mantra30\ATH-A900X
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 am

Geoff.R.G wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:32 pm

...The video appears to show the platter wobbling slightly and that must detract from sound quality, it probably also means the speed isn't stable...
Yes, a wobbling platter will be bad.

What might make more sense would be if the whole TT were mag leved. For people who place their TT's on floor mounted stands next to their speakers, as a way to isolate the TT.

It'd need induction power transfer and wireless signal transfer.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:59 am

Naturally, to go with your levitating turntable, you will need a levitating speaker ....

NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube3
Digits: RPi 2B / Allo DigiOne / Volumio / Tomanek ULPS / AQ Jitterbug
CD Transport: Cambridge CXC DAC: Metrum Acoustics Musette
Cans: AudioQuest NightHawk Digital i/c: Oxypure OCC coax & optical