Audio Talk

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
antonio66

Re: Audio Talk

Unread post by antonio66 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 am

Daniel Quinn wrote:No mention of the them being free and I would therefore be careful , given that MCRU sells a sylus tracking scale for £65 which is clearly the same one you can get of ebay for between £5.55 and £7.99.
Yes, that really is over the top to sell the stylus tracking scales at £65 when I purchased mine for £6 of ebay.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:26 pm

antonio66 wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:No mention of the them being free and I would therefore be careful , given that MCRU sells a sylus tracking scale for £65 which is clearly the same one you can get of ebay for between £5.55 and £7.99.
Yes, that really is over the top to sell the stylus tracking scales at £65 when I purchased mine for £6 of ebay.
And then the MCRU £65 product listing states:

"Beware of more expensive gauges which do exactly the same job as this one."
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

HiFi Foo Fight Blog
NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:45 pm

'Vinyl Art' LP shelves - were £30 each, now £24 each

Oak shelf with section removed for LPs to sit in, plus single pin fixings.

Asked my local carpenter - £10 per shelf including fixings and "10 second" job to take a section out. "Bung us a drink, Paul, and I'll fit 'em next time I'm passing".

Now, if we call a shelf a 'Vinyl Art LP shelf' it is transformed into an audiophile installation...wonder if the fixings can be silver plated? What about making the raw plugs from an exclusive compound of sorbothane and carbon fibre?
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

HiFi Foo Fight Blog
NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:58 am

It has nothing to do with Audio Talk. If you have an issue about what is said in private...follow your own advice and discuss it in private.

HiFi Foo Fight Blog

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:51 pm

savvypaul wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:45 pm
'Vinyl Art' LP shelves - were £30 each, now £24 each

Oak shelf with section removed for LPs to sit in, plus single pin fixings.

Asked my local carpenter - £10 per shelf including fixings and "10 second" job to take a section out. "Bung us a drink, Paul, and I'll fit 'em next time I'm passing".

Now, if we call a shelf a 'Vinyl Art LP shelf' it is transformed into an audiophile installation...wonder if the fixings can be silver plated? What about making the raw plugs from an exclusive compound of sorbothane and carbon fibre?
Well they look OK but none of my furniture is Oak so £30 a shelf then about £5,000 to refurnish the lounge to match? No I don't think so.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:53 am

Went to Audio Talk meet up at Owston near Doncaster yesterday. Photos here

http://simonsnewadventuresinhifi.blogsp ... -2018.html link on the photos.

Went by train, (thank to Simon for the lift from and back to station) cost less than half the petrol and far less stress than trying to drive on overcrowded broken down being rebuilt English roads. Couldn't take much just some cables and the cheap Chinese DAC.

Noddy was a bit of an arse about meeting arch enemies at last, but everyone else was great, just a bunch or obsessive middle / old aged knob heads like me :mrgreen: much better atmosphere than a show, not about sales, all about projects, and looking for new ways, and re-inventing old ways to make music.

Really pleased for Steve The Shadow, big grin all day as he realised how his Fanes were being regarded, and well deserved.

Karnevil9

Unread post by Karnevil9 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:22 am

I had no idea that place was Doncaster! Those Fane based speakers look smaller than i thought looking at the Pictures..

Thermionic Idler
Great Britain

Unread post by Thermionic Idler » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:57 am

It was a good day wasn't it. Meredith and I both thought the Fanes were spectacularly musical.

Doc, you asked me to post details of one of the LP's that I used to demo my AMB linestage and Transcendent OTL. It's Ana Moura - Desfado. We imported ours from a seller in Portugal via Discogs, although having Googled it, it seems to be quite a popular record so it may be possible to order the vinyl from a source closer to home. Meredith actually ordered it, I should be able to get the seller's details from her if needed.