AVi bullshit

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

AVi bullshit

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:27 pm

Let me qualify this. Within this company is a professional audio designer who knows what he is doing, who has produced a perfectly valid solution to making music in the home. In many ways it fits into the modern ways of downloads and on-line feeds and as an extension of the mobile music market.

So praise out of the way. Soooo why do they allow this company and its products to be polluted by the lies and bullshit of Ash and JC and now a small clan of fan boys and shills. Has it really got them more sales, well it seems to me all it has got them is derision and conflict, and it has been going on to my estimate for about 5 years.

I don't know the finances but I am told the recent sell out of one of the owners (Ash) may have been because of this, but if it has then it hasn't worked because the man is still plying his bollocks and lies across the web. They are a (sort of) direct seller so not overpriced so they don't need this attitude and I am sure would get their customer base even if they were more open minded about the possibility of better product out there, because there is much of it if we mean on musical ability.

Personally on the one occasion I heard them I find them flat and boring. Watch Ash turn that into an asset :roll: he is a salesman from the IvorT school and this industry has too many of them IMO. The process recently of Bake-Off and Loan Scheme are the enemy and the antithesis to these people as it allows people to see past the bullshit and make up their own minds in a comparative not isolated situation - so they hate it (unless they win). So the win / the sale is all that is important. Well I and hopefully we think differently, we like the process, we like the open mind, we like the competition, because we like the music - simples.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: AVi bullshit

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:01 pm

This is the product that has stirred up the hornets nest -

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/avi-dm ... subwoofer/

P.S. The amps in these are supposedly upgraded, but the claimed power is the theoretical paper output - the real-world performance is more conservative, but still more than ample for high domestic volumes without melting the drivers.
...I have renounced the worldly bustle and live in peace at a quiet place,
I live alone in this my heaven, in my love (and) in my songs.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Comprehensive solution, has everything but source. I can see the point of it apart from it is an end game, there are no upgrades. But I think most ordinary non enthusiast users want that.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Ash has recently regarded 'HiFi' types as a totally separate entity, so make of that what you will... I've tried there over the years to make reference to the whole aspect of 'suspending disbelief' in a playback system, where the music takes over and the 'mechanics' of the playback gear seems to disappear. I honestly think that this is a concept too far for many of these people and genuinely believe they don't listen in that way, or not as deeply. The distinct sonic advantages of an NVA amp over, say, a typical Naim, price aside, would be right over their heads in the same way that photographers obsess over different lenses, where I couldn't really tell any difference at all until the nth detail at the edges of a picture were pointed out, and even then I wouldn't care overmuch... Same for many more casual listeners who possibly don't really delve into the music like many of 'us' do.
...I have renounced the worldly bustle and live in peace at a quiet place,
I live alone in this my heaven, in my love (and) in my songs.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:41 pm

I am happy with that we are a minority interest, we always were and we always will be. The period where hi-fi was called mainstream has gone and most of it around then never was hi-fi. For me the AVi are the successor to to 70' and 80's rack systems, and that is not meant as an insult, just a reality. The thing I object to is the desire to say our values as enthusiasts don't exist, well they do, it is just they don't recognise them. We look for more than they can give.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Comprehensive solution, has everything but source. I can see the point of it apart from it is an end game, there are no upgrades. But I think most ordinary non enthusiast users want that.
I don't know, you could always rip the Class D amps out and use a couple of decent mono-blocks and a passive pre-amp... :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Of course you could and it would be better musically, but it wouldn't be as flat and boring, which going on what Ash has said that is what he wants, as he calls it accurate and lacking distortion. Of course no qualification for that statement.

But again it is just my opinion on one listen to the old ADM9s. I should follow my way and keep an open mind.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:29 pm

I use some class D amplifiers in stage monitors, plenty of omph but not much subtlety. Not that fidelity is what they are about. I am however surprised that these speakers are using them, I would have thought that other types of amplifier would be better. I also note a lack of cooling and class D can run quite hot, well the Behringer monitors do.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:45 pm

Class D shouldn't get hot, it is one of its production assets.